Variable assist power steering

I have a 2004 Mini Cooper that I bought about six months ago. It seems to me that the steering is far too heavy when I am parking it. It is far
heavier that the Mazda Miata that I traded in against the Mini, and also far heavier than other cars that I drive. Is there any way of adjusting the power steering, so that it delivers more assistance at low speeds?
I would guess your electric hydraulic power steering pump is failing. I also have a Miata. It's not easier to steer. Check the power steering fluid level. You must use Pentosin CHF 11S. Expensive stuff. Don't buy it from the dealer, I bought a liter of the stuff from some web site for half the price.