Chassis Differences

HI all, I have a 68' S2a Martin Walters Dormobile that now requires chassis and bulkhead. Can anyone tell me what the differances between a S2a and S3 chassis are. I have a chance of a cheap S3 Chassis but want to retain the 2a bulkhead etc, I prefer its simplicity. I also have a 62' carawagon/camper , lifting roof and bunks etc similar to a Dormie which will be getting broken later in the year and sold off. Thanks for any information and or help with this. Paul.

Reply to
Paul N.E Scotland

I dont think that there are any real differences between the 2A and 3 chassis'.

I think the only difference may be a slight one in the brackets that hold the rear tub on behind the seatbox - but this doesnt mean much as I think half of them still line up.

There are also a few slight differences in things like the lip on the gearbox crossmember which you have to grind off if you put a S3 gearbox in a S2 chassis - but this shouldnt trouble you!

Bulkheads are interchangeable - the mountings are the same, so your 2A bulkhead will be fine on the S3 chassis. A lot of people prefer the older design.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Note: As the law stands if the S3 chassis has already been registed on the road you will at best have to use the S3 chassis and reg no. and at worse use the S3 chassis no and get a 'Q' plate. i.e your S2a won't officially exist any longer. Check out the DVLA site for more details. However - there are lots of 'incorrect' Land Rovers (and others) out there.....

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Paul N.E Scotland uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I've been led to believe that the 2a has webbing on the crossmember below the bell housing which isn't present on the S3.

Other than that I'm not aware of any differences other than the 1 tonne spring hangars to look out for.

I could be wrong though, I've never explored the webbing thing.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:25:20 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

I had an idea that station wagon chassis are not the same as ordinary ones. Worth working out what the camper is built on, if so.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A few years ago I put a 1979 series III chassis on to a 1961 series II and everything fitted ok. Richard

Reply to
Richard

It does. Try and fit a S3 gearbox in a 2A and you'll be scratching you head over why it doesnt sit right until you look at where the clutch goes and see that its touchin the chassis and needs a bit of polishing with the grinder.

Reply to
Tom Woods

aah yeas. I broke a S3 SW too so should really know this!

I think it *may* have had an extra outrigger to hold bits up but i cant remember now. I do remember that it didnt have any huge differences!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On a 110 SW the difference is an extra bolt-on crossmember. May be the same on the earlier models as well, don't know.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

On or around 23 Jan 2006 05:43:23 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@macleod-group.com" enlightened us thusly:

it's to do with the lowered floor at the front of the rear body where the middle doors are, ISTR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Land Rover Magazine Dec 2004 has an feature on the differences between a 2 door 109 chassis and a station wagon chassis. This issue is available from the back issues dept. at

Ian McDonald

Reply to
Doorbell