Sense from the powers that be?

Off-roaders stick to guidelines

A minority of trail motorcyclists and 4x4 drivers who continue to ignore guidelines for using Lake District 'green roads' are being targeted.

Dave Liquorice

I wonder how many of those "large groups" are organised trips by landrover magazines, commercial organisations and off-road user clubs? Having seen trips organised by all three, groups of 15 trucks seems to be the minimum. I moaned to the organiser of one trip I went on and he said that one of the big landrover mags regularly organised trips into Wales in 30-50 vehicle convoys. I can't remember which magazine he was talking about now but I've heard talk of limiting off-roading to members of approved clubs or organisation, which would probably be counter-productive given their cram-em-in philosophy.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

...and Ian Rawlings spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

We did the LRO "Wild Wales Safari" a year ago this weekend. The whole group was about 30 vehicles, but thankfully split into 3 groups which travelled independently. I was still a little uncomfortable about being in a group of

10 or so. It was a bit like queueing for a takeaway at times.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:32:48 -0000, "Richard Brookman" scribbled the following nonsense:

Right

GLASS recommend travelling in groups of 4 or less when laning. There are several reasons for this:

a) The Lake District Hierarchy Of Trails (HoTR) states that groups of more than 4 vehicles can be cause for complaint. Such complaints now under law can lead to fines, imprisonment or confiscation of your vehicle (cant remember the Act that applies)

b) Large groups are more intrusive. People notice large convoys of vehicles, but not 3 or 4 small convoys of 4 or less. eg you are walking down the road and see 10 tricked up vehicles headingtowards you, what do you think? 4 vehicle convoys tend not to be noticed as much, particularly if spread around over different start points.

c) Its much harder to manage large convoys. I have led trips out with me and 3 others, and find that 9 times out of 10, I can see the whole convoy. I suspect that a large convoy of 10 vehicles would be difficult to control for the leader.

d) These are the activites that the NERC bill is focusing on, and general the 99.9% of us who behave are being punished for the 0.1% who dont.

My own rant:

Unfortunately, depsite continuous pressure, the mags don't seem to want to tow the line. One mag recently had to issue an apology for publishing some pictures of them laning which showed them wading through a river at speed, with water surging up the screen. Speak to the editors, and all they are bothereed about is selling mags, and "impressive pictures of vehicles covered in mud and in action" sells the mags. Trouble is, it gets the rest of us a bad name.

Through out the course of 2005 I met with many of the staff of the mags as part of my role within GLASS last year, and have to say, I was not impressed with their attitudes, especially the two that wanted to play one of the other (and no Martyn, no prizes for guessing!!!!)

I think I found 2 decent journos in all my talking, and met both of them at Gaydon...... and one again at Peterborough.

Sign up to GLASS and help support sensible green laning. Many of us in AFL are already members.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

...and Simon Isaacs spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Which is why I said I felt uncomfortable.

I signed up at Malvern, remember? I've not done any laning since, but the mags are a damn good read. FWIW, I think we should all support GLASS, even if we are not active laners. The alternative is roll over and play dead.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:47:14 -0000, "Richard Brookman" scribbled the following nonsense:

i do remember! I also remember spending an hour with austin, but was not quite successful!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

He was still in shock after spending 6 quid on autojumble :-)

Reply to
Mother

With limited exceptions I class all the mags as criminally irresponsible.

Of the 30+ journos I know, I'd only give houseroom / tentroom to three or four of them at most.

Some got life... Joining GLASS is more than expressing a will to maintain our ancient rights of way - it's about developing and fostering a collective responsibility, embracing the use of our environment in a symbiotic manner - so we all have a stake in the future of a harmonious countrside for our children, and their children to enjoy in whatever way they see responsibly fit. If NERC kicks in, only those who are fit, able and healthy will be able to enjoy the countryside. The disabled, elderly and infirm will effectively be banned from the majority of our ancient rights of way.

All IMO an all that.

Reply to
Mother

Next you'll be complaining that I won't join. :P

Reply to
EMB

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:26:35 +0000, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

yeah, but look at what he got for his £6

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:26:35 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I spent considerably more'n that. Mind, still not actually *fitted* the window catches.

Reply to
Austin Shackles