Diesel Problems - Discovery this Time

Right, van fixed, onto the Discovery.

1994 Discovery 1 Mk2 300TDi Manual.

I cooked this about 3 weeks ago (loss of coolant) and I need to swap the engine.

Head is off on the engine in the car. I plan to change the clutch on the replacement engine before it goes in.

Anything to watch out far, any tricky nuts/bolts to get at and any hints/tips?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

As the famous books say, reasembly is the reverse of disasembly, most of the time. Guess you have a clutch alignment tool, if not, get/borrow one, or it can be a bitch to get it mated to the 'box.

Check the water pump gasket & bearing seal for signs of leaks, and replace accordingly, + check the correct 'stat is fitted... Don't want another cooking incident I suspect?

Personally, unless you *know* the thing is a good'un, I'd test run the "new" engine out of the car, not difficult, bolted to a pallet or something, with temporary ancillary hookup (water pump only on an emergency belt.) With all the correct fluids in the system of course, only for a few minutes to make sure it's all OK.

Did that for a friend a little while back (a 200TDi from eBlag) Made a nice noise with no pipe!... His Mrs thought we were mad, probably right. It started first turn (when we got a decent battery on the job!) And sounded "nice and even". Didn't vibrate its way across the floor either.

"Enjoy"!

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter