Disco clutch

Hello all; I know something similar has been posted here recently but I cannot find it. On my 1993 200Tdi I am loosing my clutch pedal free travel. I replaced the rubbers in the master cylinder about 2 1/2 years ago but again I am loosing the pedal travel. I've bled the circuit twice in the last months and immediately after, pedal free travel is under 1"; but slowly over a week or so the free travel increases to about 2" which is near the unserviceable stage. Has anyone any suggestions as to what could be causing this ? There are no leaks and the level in the reservoir is constantly normal. The clutch servo has never been replaced. Thank you for any contributions. Frank

Reply to
thesnowbaron

the pedal free travel is adjusted from within the master cylinder pedal box , but i guess you know this .

check that the nuts havent come loose , i know they are a swine to get at unless you have slim cranked spanners.

it may well be youre slave cylinder at fault , i know my LR90 has done similar things to yours before the cylinder has gone , but normally this goes hand in hand with some fluid loss ..

check if you pump the clutch pedal that the slack reduces back to normal .

the fluid level may not drop by much at all but one of the piston rubbers may be perished .

failing that its something to do with the clutch release bearing or the clutch cover , but unless you lose it all totally i wouldnt worry too much about slight changes in pedal slackness .

check the flexible hose also .

it is probably best to change the slave cylinder first and then the master .

if you have the LT77 gearbox and exhaust pipe going near the slave cylinder then this is sure sign for slave cyl problems , they suffer premature, or low service life because of the heat generated in this area . normally with slave cylinder problems you do "lose" the clutch pedal operation totally once or twice before the cylinder eventually goes , you can recover it possibly by pumping clutch pedal but it will fail completely at some stage . mind you fluid loss will also occur at this stage but you wont see fluid leaking because it has a tendency to go into the bellhousing .

.
Reply to
M0bcg