Disco front axle play

How much play should there be in a Disco1 front axle? I've got about

10degrees at the propshaft, and a bit of a clunk when taking up drive suddenly. Better off looking at new bushes or having the diff/cv's out?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:43:04 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

CV joints, drive flanges (the bit that bolts onto the end of the hub)...

There's a lot of places to get play:

CWP, diff gears, splines on inner end of half-shaft, spline in the CV joint, CV joint, spline in the drive flange[1]. any or all can have play in 'em, and on a high mileage motor they probably all do. replacing them all is expensive and in some cases difficult.

[1] early ones are different, and I think have one fewer splines.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

What have you got at the rear? 10 degrees doesn't sound excessive to me.

and a bit of a clunk when taking up drive

I think you'd notice other noises from worn diffs/cv's. When I got my Disco

1 I discovered that the two biggest culprits for causing your clunk were 1) 'A' bar ball joint over the rear diff, and 2) swivel pins collapsed.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Yeah, thats OK I guess. I got my Disco 1 new in 1996, the clunk and play when driving of roughly and on the handbreak was already there and it didn't go away in 335 K km.

Jurjen

Reply to
Jurjen Bolsenbroek