Does anyone on here know this vehicle?

Just wondered about the 1974 bit? Seems a bit "Modern" inside and out for a 1974, the RAC site reckons it was registered as manufactured in 2001 and the DVLA doesn't have records for it.

Is it anyone on heres or do they know who owns it through events they have attended?

Reply to
Elder

Smacks like a ringer to me, but hardly worth the effort.

Fuck me, i want some 'spotlambs' they sound good!

What year did they introduce 4 door RRC's?

I reckon it's a late or mid model RRC with a private plate on, can't be owt else can it.

Reply to
Nige

Wasn't the 5 door body shell in the 80's? It certainly looks like a later than 70's dash.

Reply to
Elder

The bodywork, trim, auto box shift control etc. is mid/late 80s. It's got the hard dash which puts that pre about 1995(?). It's definitely not as late as 2001 - they'd stopped making them by then.

There's nothing shown about what it sits on which might assist in identifying its true age.

The 'new' spare lower tailgate has the slot for the handle used on the

3-door!

I'd go with Nige - the M plate is probably irrelevant. Otherwise someone's spent an awful lot of effort making something old look newer.

Reply to
Dougal

Yep, looking at all the trim etc, I'd say it's an '86 to '95 model.

I'd put money on there being no number stamped on the chassis, or a lot of underseal covering up the grinder marks!!!!

Yep, my money's on a ringer as well. maybe not a "deliberate" ringer, possibly done by ignorance of the law, but a ringer none the less. Badger. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Or could it just be a typo, and it's really an '84?

Reply to
John Moppett

Well dodgy door cards and cappings are post '88 seats are post '89 as are the rear seat backs with cupholders 200TDi and new box would anybody rebuild a car to that level ? Overfinch possibly but I would think a call to H.Harding & Associates would be in order not bad price so far

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Provided that all the proper hoops have been gone through, there's no reason for not having an 'old' plate on your newer vehicle or putting a newer body on your old chassis is there?

Reply to
Dougal

Indeed, but if you've jumped through all the proper hoops why not be open and honest about it? You're more likely to gain interest in the item being sold if you are honest, although it's possible the seller bought it like this and just doesn't know enough about them maybe? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I dont know the ins & outs, but he could be just lying!

Reply to
Nige

Yes, more history would have done no harm.

Actually that wasn't my 'problem'. I was just wondering if my knowledge of the rules was out-of-date - you never find out these days until you've put your foot in it!

Reply to
Dougal

Yes, more history would have done no harm.

Actually that wasn't my 'problem'. I was just wondering if my knowledge of the rules was out-of-date - you never find out these days until you've put your foot in it!

Reply to
Dougal

He has now added that it is a newer body on a '74 chassis and is registered as a 1974.

Must have been one hell of a rot job to either the original chassis or original body to make the swap worth while.

Reply to
Elder

On or around Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:48:26 -0000, Elder enlightened us thusly:

silly, though, should've used a 1972 chassis, then it would've been tax exempt. Provided he used enough parts from the '72 to qualify.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Chassis, axles and steering gear from the original is enough to qualify.

However, i spotted in one of the LR rags today an advert for a 1968 SIIa SWB - Galv Coil sprung chassis, rr axles, 200tdi engine/gearbox, complete defender bodywork. In other words the only thing about it that was 1968 was the chassis plate screwed onto it. Other than that it was clearly a 1990ish Defender 90.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I'm not old enough to remember 1972, but can anyone give me an idea of how much of a vehicle has to be retained to qualify for tax exempt status? Would just the chassis be enough?

The car in the OP has a non '74 engine (and presumably gearbox), a non '74 body and non '74 interior. Is there really any way it could legally be considered to be a 1974 vehicle?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

See

But the answer is yes, Chassis steering axles and suspension will qualify it to remain as the original vehicle.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:23:53 +0000, Douglas Payne enlightened us thusly:

As Alex said... thing is, the body on vehicles such as landies and rangies doesn't count 'cos the vehicle has a separate chassis. If it were a monocoque, then the body/chassis unit has to be retained.

IIRC, you have to have the chassis - you can only get enough points by using chassis and one other component. But in any case, I wonder why it was worth the effort. it's still just another S/H rangie, and they don't fetch money these days.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Be interested to see how it gets through the new MOT system. AIUI these 'hybrids' are throwing up all sorts of problems.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

It does say in the body of the ad..."Rebuilt in 1994 by H.Harding & Asscociates". So it could well be legit. Finding out something about H.Harding & Associates would be a good starting point. Doing this sort of thing was quite common at that time, putting a 4-door body on a 2-door chassis.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd