fog lamp.

ok, 1984 110. rear fog lamp. I'm replacing my light lenses with clear ones, can I fit a reversing lamp lens to my fog lamp with a red tinted bulb behind and still have an effectual fog lamp? the pattern on the lenses look exactly the same to me.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:17:36 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

don't see why not. You're lucky the f***er works, anyway. Mine is always made to work for the MOT and always stops again about a week after.

the LED lamp thingies won't work in it mind, as the bulbs in those are mounted sideways.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:54:38 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

I'd spotted that the LED's won't work but I'm sure I can find a red bulb somewhere...

or how about red glass paint?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

What's usually the problem? My fog lamp has stopped working (the light on the dash doesn't come on either).

--

swap z's in email address for the above

Reply to
danny

On or around Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:59:12 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

you can get red bulbs; dunno if they do single 21W mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:18:57 +0000, danny enlightened us thusly:

normally seems to be the wiring in the back, behind the little panel. But there's a relay somewhere, I think, too. or the switch can be faulty.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The problem is usually that LR very sensibly wired the rear fog lamps so that they only work on DIP setting. If you put your main beams on then the fog lamp will stop working - on purpose!

Most vehicles keep the rear fog on no matter what the main beam status is.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Most often it's just a dirty contact in the light housing. Clean up the contacts and all is well for a while. The switch contacts also get oxidised as its not used enough to keep them clean. Switch cleaner works.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

I think you mean the fog lamps will only work when the lights are on - that is standard practice. If your fogs go out on main beam you have a wiring probem!!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

My wiring is realy fubar on the fog light side as I can switch all the lights off, turn the engine off and the fog light will still stay on :O)

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

On or around Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:01:45 +0000, William MacLeod enlightened us thusly:

the problem on mine is that the dash light comes on but the actual foglamp doesn't This happens often, buggrit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:06:31 +0000, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

rear fogs will only operate while on dipped beam. not on sidelights, not on main beam. I've seen other things wired like this too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Agreed not on side lights, but mine certainly do on main beam - I tried it earlier, and can honnestly say I've never noticed a car I'm following have it's........... hang on, we're talking front here arn't we??? Well, being a hater of front fog lights, I've never owned a vehicle with them on!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Not many 110s have front fog lamps as standard though there is a feed for them ;)

The rear should go out on main beam. Should only work on dip.

Not particularly keen on them either. Can be useful on single track road though for lighting up the verge right in front of you when maneuvering.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

On or around Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:25:06 +0000, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

no, rear ones. On the 110 they only come on when yer on dipped beam. sensible enough, since if it's sufficiently clear to use main beam, you don't need rear fogs.

Personally, I'd have it that all front fogs are wired so that they only come on *instead* of the dipped beam. fix 'em so that if you switch 'em on, the headlamps go off - so you can have one or the other.

There's no justification for using both dips and front fogs, and it's probably illegal - certainly 'tis if it's not foggy, and there's also a "used so as to cause unnecessary glare or dazzle" one.

since the only point of front fogs is to make it easier for you to see in thick fog, there's no need for dipped lights as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Defeinately not - mine certainly dont, I even tried it last night! I can honnestly say I have never followed any vehicle with its rear fog going on and off with main beam, that would very noticeable, as it would annoyong and dangerous (brake lights?).

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

personally, I'd have it that all front fogs are wired so they only come on WHEN IT'S FOGGY

Reply to
Denis F

Twas Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:11:05 +0000 when Denis F put finger to keyboard producing:

I'm with you on that one.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Well, I know this from experience, and I've just checked the wiring diagram which confirms it - they're fed from the dip circuit only. Don't know about later defenders, but 80's ones certainly are wired as Austin and myself say. Maybe yours has been "fixed" by a previous owner?

If you're driving in fog then main beam just reflects back at you and blinds you so you don't use it - anyway, appearing to have a brake light come on would only be good, it might serve to increase the distance of the person behind in poor driving conditions ;)

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod