Gearbox oil level

Hi all,

96 Rangie 4.6HSE Auto

Changed the transfer box oil today - had it up on a ramp so very easy access. No probs. Quite delightful in fact to do it up in the air in a nice warm garage, instead of lying on my back in grit with ATF pouring down my sleeve and into my face.

When I went to change the gearbox oil, I stopped after about half a litre had gone because it'd obviously been changed during the torque convertor repair (Duckworths) only a few hundred miles ago. But when I dipped it to check the level (having run it, moved it through the gears etc), it was actually quite a bit above the max, even with half a litre less than was originally there. I didn't bother draining any more as by that time I'd tidied everything up.

What's the result of having too much gearbox oil?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David French

Worst case would be that the extra fluid, when agitated as driven, works up enough extra pressure to blow a seal. This would certainly be the danger with a manual box, I don't suppose it'll be much different with an auto.

TFP.

Reply to
Colin Sutton

On or around Sat, 3 Jan 2004 16:18:36 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

did you check it cold?

it's higher when warm. Should ideally have stood overnight, I reckon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles