Getting Too Clever I think? Dwell Angles

Had some Halfords gift vouchers for Xmas, burning a hole in my pocket so i bought a gunsons uni-t multi meter - it does all usual elecy stuff but also has a tacho and dwell reading.

Dwell - here lies the problem,

My v8 has a lumination electronic ignition, it runs ok but im sure it could be better but i suspect proplemss with the carbs more than anything - however, I measured the dwell angle when running its 31.9° - the haynus manual says 28° - can anybody explain? can i adjust electronic ignition, do i turn the dizzy? etc etc

Thanks

Rog

Reply to
Rog

On or around Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:44:57 +0000 (UTC), "Rog" enlightened us thusly:

if it's an electronic distributor, then you can't adjust dwell. Dwell is the ration of points-open to points-closed, and only applies to points-based systems. If it's points-driven (i.e. not standard LR) electronic, then use the dwell meter to adjust the points (for which on the 35D8 distributor there's a handy external adjuster) to the correct figure.

if you don't have points, the only adjustment inside the distributor is the pick-up air gap, and that shouldn't need adjusting.

rotate the distributor to adjust timing, noting that on some engines the best figure is not what the book says.

Reply to
Austin Shackles