How reliable are the Disco Auto boxes?

On or around Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:54:24 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

have you parked 'em side-by-side?

very little difference in overall size... The 110 is of course 10" longer wheelbase, but the rear overhang on the disco is about the same and the front overhang is a bit more. I doubt there's more than a foot in it, LOA-wise.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 17 Jul 2006 06:33:34 +0100, rookthorn enlightened us thusly:

remove the gearbox, take the torque converter off and tip it about at funny angles.

short answer is "you can't". so what you do is to drain all that will drain and put a new filter unit inside the sump.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

oh yes - it's not a big drive and for a bit we needed to make room for three vehicles. The two Land Rovers were almost touching.

sure - oddly, that snippet only registered with me in the last few days.

hrmm - you could well be right - I was going from memory. As they were parked, the Discovery gave a little at the front and the back to the 110 - I didn't use a tape measure :)

... and that is the point I was making. SWMBO cannot find what it takes to drive the 110, but is reasonably comfortable with the Discovery despite their very similar dimensions.

It's about perception - but of what I've yet to discover :)

Reply to
William Tasso

Thanks for that, thought I'd done it wrong. :o))

Reply to
rookthorn

On or around Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:48:59 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

the 110 feels bigger, especially if you're not very big yourself, I suspect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:29:28 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

Happens with a lot of LR vehicles, some one asked me how I got used to driving the 101 cos the "disco is a lot shorter", so I parked them side by side to prove a point..... Guess which one is the shortest.......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Badger a bit thanks for the excellent write up on ZF diagnostics and repair.

A VERY useful piece of writing and already stored in my technical archives.

Thanks again Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

No problems, hope it is of some use to you. For what it's worth, any zf boxes I rebuild are fitted with the modified heavy-duty sprag clutch, and wherever possible are updated to the later modified clutch packs for the "D" and "F" clutches. I also replace the spigot shafts and fit modified seals to the input shafts, which together should eliminate any future wear, along with another mod to allow quicker pressure relief from the "A" clutch in an attempt to eliminate drag and wear. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

This is interesting reading. I thought some of the big mercs and Bms were around 6m. Nakes you wonder why people keep crowing on about the urban footprint of 4x4's.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

I once parked my 109 next to a "new" Granada - exactly the same length.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

On or around Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:18:51 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

If I get a supply of dosh sufficent to buy back my old 110 as a basis for the infamous hybrid project, and if there's enough of said dosh available, both things admittedly unlikely, then I'll send the 'box to you for a revamp before fitting it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No probs Austin, just gimme a shout if and when. :-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger