It's coming...

You don't have to store on time, you can store on distance, e.g. write a new location stamp if they move more than 20 metres.

Coming to a nano-tracker implanted into your teeth soon ;-)

Tinfoil hats at the ready!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think so, - do the numbers, 60 x 24 x 365 x (75 years mean life), say two, 32 bit numbers. 10 Gig is a rate of about a sample every 2 seconds of your life. You only live on average a bit over 2 giga seconds, and if you only stored movements, you could compress the data enormously

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

It's trivial to jam satellite signals if you know the frequency, the signals are very weak. If you had enough know-how then you could feed false time pulse signals to the GPS from a transmitter that would fool it into thinking that the signal is from a satellite, and its position information would be meaningless. Such a device would be relatively small and use little power as it would only need to transmit weakly.

Tough shit on the accountants, the country's not full of sheep, if they want us neatly ordered and processed then that's not about to happen.

Besides I'm not convinced of all the techno-fear stuff being rained down on us, technology is never as good as people think and what looks like a foolproof system tends to fall to bits once exposed to the real world.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I agree. I'd still go with Matt's posting, about the autoroutes over in France. Since VED money (should) only go to maintaining the trunk roads and Motorways (main roads are the responsibility of the county, local roads the local council, so Council Tax pays for anything lower than Trunk) it makes sense to scrap VED and put the burden on the user of the roads for which it is paid, ie motorway tolls. France gets its people to use the Motorways (and hence pay) by having the speed limits significantly different - 90 km/h (the famous 56mph) on the non-motorways, 130 km/h (about 80 mph) on the autoroutes. Most people are happy to pay to legally drive the higher speed (as well as of course avoiding junctions and towns)

The toll system is pretty easy to use, and unlike British roads prior to the Rebecca riots, well maintained (that was the drover's main grouse with the system, AIUI)

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Since 32bits on lat/long resolves to about a centimeter I suspect they could compress it a lot.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Think I'll change the Series One back to positive earth and see what that does to their fancy modern electronics!

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

Switched on yes, used no.

It wouldn't be a very big step to take and a lot easier for the populace to swallow than an implant.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That recent Dr. Who at the birth of the cybermen had it right.....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

So they'll just ban it from the roads! Don't forget we're talking about "Ban Everything Becuase One Of My Mates Doesn't Like It" Tony & Chums.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I have four cars, can only drive one at once, and work from home so don't drive daily so VED is PITA, but I don't believe for a moment that VED will be scrapped. That's been mentioned in some of the blurb about toll roads but we'll end up with toll roads *and* VED. I don't think I'm being particularly cynical either!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I don't know about you but I find even the most compact of phones hard to swallow. No doubt with nanotechnology such devices could be incorporated in some kind of easy to swallow bolus. Seriously, such a device would be next to useless if it were optionally left at home or switched off, so it won't be.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

||| The Rebecca riots helped rid the country of toll roads once before ||| in 1839 so only an idiot would think modern citizens would look ||| more kindly on extensive tolls........................... ||| ||| Huw || || If you think i'm dressing up as a bird just to fight the tolls then || you can think again! unless it's a Saturday night........ || || Davina

Christ, that wasn't you was it?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| Richard Brookman wrote: |||

> [...]

I'm sure you're right, but that won't stop them spending millions on consultancy fees before they drop the idea.

|| Who is going to pay for all these black-boxes || to be retro-fitted to every vehicle in the UK?? The motorist I || suppose.

Got it in one.

|| This is all very well if they abolish VED to compensate.

Now you're dreaming. Since when has a Govt ever imposed one tax only to remove another so people don't have to pay twice? That would be like my Labrador saying "No thanks, I've already eaten."

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Mon, 7 Aug 2006 18:49:49 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

nor do I. I can see us having toll roads, expensive petrol *and* VED, and the roads still being crap.

taxing the petrol is OK up to a point. It'd work better for you and I, having many vehicles and only using one at a time. However, it'd increase the tax bills for everyone, since I'd be charging more for taking the anklebiters to school, for just one example. That and increase the price of everything due to the transport costing more.

either that or people like me and the transport industry would have to be able to get rebated fuel.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 7 Aug 2006 19:33:54 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

a tracker that you swallow would have a limited working life anyway, except for the anally retentive types.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It could be genetically engineered to stick to the stomach or gut lining, assuming the human stomach does not retain a bolus in the same way as one of four cow stomachs does. Not sure which mind you, the reticulum, rumen, omasum or the abomasum.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I can remember seeing prototypes of this system in an educational cartoon, one of the characters had satellite equipment installed in his rectum. South Park I think it was.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 07:54:47 +0100, Ian Rawlings scribbled the following nonsense:

"Goddammit I have not had an anal probe, screw you guys, I'm going home" Cartman from Southpark

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

In message , Ian Rawlings writes

Or exposed to a better fool perhaps? ;-)

Reply to
Jonathan Spencer