Lights pulsating

I have a 1990 RR Classic. I replaced the alternator recently and eveything has been fine. The other night after starting the vehicle I noticed that the headlights were pulsating as were the ABS/engine light on the dash panel. There is no hesitation in the engine and the alternator belt is tight. I had the alternator tested and it is working fine. This was not immediate after the replacement of the Alt., so I believe there is another cause but I am unable to determine what it is. I'd like some suggestions before I take it to a shop. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Rhino

Were there any lights in the sky at the time? Has your bottom been a little sore recently?

Lock your doors.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think you have to have parked on a level crossing with the signs all shot up to qualify for the above. Or be looking for an excuse for taking 4 hours to "give the barmaid a lift home".......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Is this on tick over or when driving?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've only seen it when the alternator had nearly worn out brushes. It was still producing enough volts/amps to be passed 'working' though. If it was a new alternator it might be a stuck brush.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Did you replace it with a *new* one and did it come with pulley. If not you might not have tightened it enough, the modern tin pulleys don't have a keyway in them. Otherwise regulator in alternator may be faulty, take it back to test.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks for the many suggestions. I realize that I know even less than I thought I did after reading them. My automotive skills haven't progressed much beyond repairing my Series III.

Thanks again.

Oily wrote:

Reply to
Rhino