More awkward questions - 200/300tdi

Which gearbox is which on 200/300tdi RR/Disco/Defender?

I have a 1990 Classic fitted with a 300tdi from a Defender. The gearlevers are significantly in the wrong place, compared with a Disco. I also have a spare gearbox from a 200Tdi Discovery, the posiiton of the gearlevers is much nearer where they should be on a RR.

Question is, will the 200Tdi gearbox fit a 300Tdi engine? Which box is which?

Defender is laid out with H/L/Difflock rearwards of the main lever, which is laid out:

1 3 5 2 4 R

Disco has H/L/Difflock forwards of the main gearlever which is laid out:

R 1 3 5 2 4

Other than that, how do I tell the difference between LT77/LT85/LT95/R380?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Start with the only one I know - LT95 is the original 101/RRC 4 speed 'box.

Reply to
Dougal

Ah, well I know it's not that one, they've all got 5 speeds.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

LT77 = 200Tdi, R380 - 300Tdi. As we've just fitted a 200Tdi into a Discovery 300Tdi (it's fits, but it's not straightforward), presumably the reverse is true.

That's R380

That's LT77

The relative positions of the gearstick and transfer lever depend on whether either is fitted to a Defender or Discovery/RRC.

LT77/R380 look quite similar - with a square ribbed pattern over the gear box case and a separate transfer box, LT85/LT95 are plain and quite square and have an intergal transfer box.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

What's the difficulty with it? I can't see that the bolt pattern on the block is much different between the two. This vehicle is a bit of a mix at the moment, as the conversion has not been finished particularly well, viz. no centre console, glowplugs not wired up (despite there being a standard fitment unused socket under the bonnet to connect the glowplug relay/loom to) so I'm not adverse to changing clutches etc to fit the 200Tdi box.

So would it be possible to move the gearlevers to the correct positions for a Defender/RRC? Granted they won't be quite in the right place, as the 300Tdi is about 2" further forward than it should be in the RR. But a heck of a lot nearer than they are at the moment, which makes fitting a centre console impossible.

Which gearbox did the RR with VM Diesel have? Might be able to get a manual RR centre console to fit, rather than mucking about with an Auto one.

What was the LT85 fitted to?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Isn't that the Santana gearbox? I think they were the early 90/110 5 speed, and reputedly bullet-proof.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

It's the mountings that are different - it's only cutting off and swapping over, but not a "straight in" job,

Clutches are the same.

In theory it's just a case of swapping over the top bits and linkages, but quite how far you'd have to go is another matter!

LT77 - I think exclusively! Bernards up later so I'll have a look if he comes in the right motor.

I always get 85 and 95 mixed up, but the 85 was fitted to Stage I V8, Range Rover, 101 and Defender. The 95 was, I think, only fitted to Defender and "Spanish Stage II's".

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The Lt 95 is the 4 speed gear box fitted to 2 door rangerovers, 101s to name a few. The lt 85 was a reworked lt 77 which the spanish company santana produced. This wasn't a quick rework, to get the desired strength required the use of bigger bearings, so the main shaft ended up at 85 mm from the lay shaft, hence the name. The gear box was used is vehicles which the lt77 was unsuitable ie. behind a v8. The earlier gearboxes were the strongest having a solid case and an oil pump. A later rework of the lt85 resulted in the loss of the oil pump and the use of a split case gear. Arguable stronger than an lt 77 but not as strong as the earlier version. Weaknesses of the lt85, as with any mechanical item, they don't thank you for not servicing em and this shows up as noisy bearings.

Reply to
Simon Cochran

On or around 27 Apr 2007 16:42:34 -0700, BeamEnds enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. I tried fitting an RR one to a disco and it doesn't. RR has a long stick mounted further forward, and it's also non-trivial to change the gear stick bit over.

Reply to
Austin Shackles