MOT Requirement?

Does anybody know if it's an MOT requirement for BOTH reverse lights to be working, as only my nearside does?

Reply to
Roclive

Are reversing lights part of the MOT test? The testing manual makes no reference to reversing lights and are not testable items as such, however you *could* be issued with a failure if they were illuminated all the time.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Hi Mark, I just had a look on this site

and found this info for the lights, hope it helps.; Lights The headlamps are checked for alignment with a Beam Setter. After first aligning the equipment with the vehicle, the left and right headlamp beams are checked to ensure they are correctly set so as not to dazzle other road users.

Test Description

All required lights are checked for:

a.. operation b.. condition c.. security Side lights and headlamps

a.. are the correct type and colour b.. dip and aim. Stop lights, indicators and hazard lights*

a.. are the correct type and colour b.. do not interfere with each other in operation c.. driver's tell-tale works with respect to indicators, or there is an audible warning system. Rear Fog lamps**

a.. must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle b.. tell-tale must work c.. must not be affected by other lamps and not be obscured d.. must be red. Number plate lamps

a.. All lamps fitted must be working. Rear reflectors

a.. There must be two red reflectors fitted reasonably symmetrically, securely attached and not obscured.

  • Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1986, but if fitted, must be tested.
** Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1980
Reply to
cyberwraith

not part of test, but as you say best not stuck on all the time

Reply to
jOn

Yes, I had failure for that reason, bloke at MOT station told me just to take the bulb out and he would pass it!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

On or around Fri, 07 Nov 2008 22:32:12 +0100, Matt M enlightened us thusly:

it's illegal if on all the time - RVLR 1989, I would imagine, white light showing to the rear.

I don't think they're required to work, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles