screwy maintenance requirement

'03 LE. 4-cy.

Going by the "book," (the maintenance book toyota supplies with the new car), I first needed to replace the cabin air filter at 10,000mi in the camry (and several other models, also). Then at 15,000mi (but only in the Camry), then at 20,000mi.

I didn't look further. Asked the local dealership service "adviser" about it (seems screwy to me), but he just shrugged and told me to follow the book.

Wouldn't mind so much, but the filter costs $27.95 at Toyota, $25.95 at CarQuest and Napa "doesn't stock it yet."

Reply to
Tim J. Johson

You have misinterpreted the Passport Service Book.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

"> You have misinterpreted the Passport Service Book.

That's what I have to think, but I have looked at it closely, as have a couple of friends and if you take it literally, at least as we interpret it, if you go by the severe schedule you replace at 10 15 and 20, and then for some reason, skip the 25 mark....I didn't look past that.

If anyone cares, you can plug in the 03 camry into the website below and see if the three of us are crazy....

Tim J. Johson

Reply to
David

Might be a missprint in the 2003 book. My 2004 book requirers it at 30,000 mile intervals, than at 15,000 mile intervals it states "Note: Driving in heavy traffic, on dirt roads or in urban, dusty or desert areas may shorten the life of the cabin air filter. Replacement may be needed if you notice reduced air flow from the air conditioner and heater or if the windows fog easily when you use the "Fresh" mode. Consult your dealer if any of these conditions occur."

Gary Carter

Reply to
Gary Carter

Interesting about the '04. Much different for what you would assume would be the same thing....If it weren't for the warranty "thang" I would put the cabin Air filter on the same 10K sked that I use for the engine air filter and be done with it.

Reply to
Tim J. Johson

Philip sent me an e-mail, not sure if he posted it here on the group, because I post via Google and it typically only updates once or twice a day and I'm leaving the country for a week.

Anyhow, Philip thought me worries about warranty problems connected to not changing the cabin air filter were "lame."

I have to disagree.

I know the odds are slight, but say the fan, cooling system, etc. fails while the car is under warranty. Should be fixed free, correct?

Well, what if I had not replaced the cabin air filter as specified by Toyota?

Would they not be able to claim that the failure was related to me not changing the filter as specified, thus forcing the system to work harder and fail prematurely?

I COULD see that happening and I could see me paying several hundred bills to have the system repaired. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but seems sensible. tim

Reply to
Tim J. Johson

If you would study the construction of the air plenum chambers and component locations, you will find nothing that can be damaged by a clogged or even a missing filter. Did you know that Camry has not had this filter at all .. until about 2001? You are free to believe whatever your imagination conceives. I won't waste the energy on ignorance.

correct?

I see ... you're chasing shadows.

Tim. You're a GREAT candidate for an extended warranty ... one that would allay your baseless fears.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

I changed my cabin filter at 10,000 miles and was surprised at how dirty it was. Easy to do yourself... Fram has non OEM replacements for about $18...and often with $5 off rebate.

Reply to
Marty009

I live in a fairly rural area. You can find the most "off-the-wall" chainsaw parts. You can find parts for guns made 50 years ago. And, Ford, GM, Chevy and Dodge pickups, no problem.

But try to buy parts for these "itty bitty" toy cars and no one stocks that much of them, so I'm stuck at the dealer, who is actually 20 miles away. Quick and easy swap-out though, as you mention.

Reply to
Tim J. Johson