OT - Merc A-class Intermittant Starting

Morning

A colleague at work has got an A160, and sometimes it wont start.

I am asking the group for ideas, on the grounds that it is currently parked next to my 90 in the car park - So thats the link to to landrovers.....

It is very intermittent, and when it wont start, there is nothing. It wont turn over at all. If its bump started, and driven for a bit it will be ok again for a while.

I recon its electrical, probably starter motor related..

Anyone here familiar with A-class' and got any thing i can try?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

If it's auto it's probably related to the transmission interlock.

Reply to
EMB

pst

"Bump start"

Probably manual.

David

Reply to
rads

On or around Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:12:25 GMT, rads enlightened us thusly:

hehe. I have seen autos which will self-start at about 20mph, although that's beyond most of us in the matter of pushing a car in a car park.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Battery/starter/earth connections. Is there even a click from the starter solenoid (or whatever).

Reply to
Dougal

Indeed. Time for a reading comprehension course.

Reply to
EMB

If it's electic/computer everything and you have ignition lights etc when switched on but nothing from the starter motor I'd be looking either at the starter connections, or if it tries to crank, something like the CPS (crank position sensor), if it has one. Any fault codes from the computer?

Reply to
Danny

Hi Mark.

I have had this before on another vehicle and this is what I did to resolve it. I hope you will understand my explanation and that the same will apply to you problem.

What I found was that the solenoid on the starter its self was sticking. After starting the car the solenoid does not retuned back to the rest position which mean the next time you try and start the starter is dead. A tap of the starter and it returns to its normal position and works.

No need to replace anything. Simply remover the starter, remover the solenoid from the side, strips and clean and your problem should go away. I normally put a very thin film of copper slip grease on the solenoid shaft to prevent it form ceasing in the future. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Mark Smith Cape Town South Africa

Reply to
m_asmith