OT: Ratchet type Cargo straps

I need some cargo ratchet straps to secure loads down in my van (1000gk pallets of Limestone).

Anyone know of any suppliers of these things that don't charge the earth. The ones with hooks on the end, not the type that you use on roof racks.

Although I need reasonably heavy duty (probably 5000kg breaking strain to be super safe) I don't need them 6m or 7m long.

Any kind chap point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Muddy

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Depends on your definition of "the earth". Machine mart do 6m long ones for 16.95+VAT.

Reply to
Paul Everett

I got some nice 2500kg breaking strain starps from Machine Mart. They came with 6m straps, but I know that the first time I cut them down I will need them long.....

Try

Simon Isaacs

So Alan Mudd was, like

There's a firm near me called Simon Safety who are pretty reasonable and very helpful. I believe they will do mail order.

They supply the local oil refineries etc so they have plenty of heavy-duty stuff. I use their 2" ratchet straps for securing vehicles to my trailer and it's all been fine.

HTH

Reply to
Richard Brookman

You can almost hear the 'snap' of irony next time you use 'em!!!

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Range Rover Classic (Monty)

__

Reply to
Nige

So Nige was, like

They are all in the shed drying out after a soaking, so I'm hoping this kind and generous treatment will make them reconsider and perhaps not bite me on the ankle when I next need them.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Yup, I've no problem paying that sort of money for decent ones, I'd been finding them around the £35 - £40 mark which did seem a little steep.

I've found what look to be some good ones on Ebay, a marine supplier, if they are good enough for dealing with boats they should have nice easy life in a van.

5 tonne rating and 2" strap, sounds good to me.

Thanks for all your advice.

Muddy

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Ditto machine mart.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Just a reminder about these things: make sure you're comparing like with like. Some suppliers quote a safe working load for the whole assembly (hooks, ratchet, webbing), some for only one element (not necessarily the weakest!), some quote "breaking strain", which always sets the alarm bells ringing because it's a load they then quote, not a strain, some quote the maximum tension that they reckon you'll manage with the supplied ratchet, and some just quote a figure and hope you don't think too hard.

Once the webbing starts to fray, the breaking load drops rapidly, and knots in the webbing reduce it enormously.

produce some seriously good kit.

Reply to
Autolycus

For anyone interested, after a little searching I found some brand new straps at a very reasonable price:-

I bought 2 sets (four straps in total) at 6m long 5000kg breaking strain £45.50 incl p&p - under £12 a strap - bargain.

They arrived this week and are very good quality items.

Muddy

Reply to
Alan Mudd