Loose tie straps

Here's just a reminder out there to all you people who have ever strapped something onto your Toyota.

TIE UP THE LOOSE ENDS OF YOU STRAPS

The idiot I am I took out my canoe this weekend, Used a ratchet strap on the front and back to crank the canoe on tight. Well, on the front I left the extra strap after the ratchet tied loosely to the crank handle. Big mistake! about 1/4 mile from home all of a sudden the canoe jumps forward, and crashes onto the hood of my 4 runner. I stop the car and take a look. Sure enough, the extra strap worked its way loose, found the passenger side axel, and wrapped around it. the strap tightened around the axel to the point of ripping the hook out of the front of the canoe. The strap that wrapped around the axel busted the CV joint boot, separating it from the clamp. So, Now I have scratches on the roof, a dent in the hood, and a busted cv joint boot all because I was too lazy and stupid not to tie up the extra bit of strap. Don't make the same mistake I made.

Dave

Reply to
zephyr

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 15:07:46 -0400, "zephyr" found these unused words floating about:

I see you just met Mr. Murphy of Dewey, Cheetham & How.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

You're lucky too ...

It could have been much worse.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Totally,

My insurance is covering the dented hood, and the cv boot, and I'll only be out 100 bucks and some of my own time. However, it could have been much much worse

Dave

Reply to
Tennessee Dave