Rear axle problem

Hi group,

2002 Defender 110 TD5

This is the vehicle from a friend of mine. We were driving it the other day and had to stop at a railway crossing. Train passes and we continued our well deserved journey through the german countryside. Halfway the tracks there was a loud clunck and forward motion stopped. Since there was a second train approaching we jumped out and started pushing the car, clearing the tracks just in time. Murphy's law did apply that day.

So, after some research on the side of the road we came to the conclusion it must be de rear diff shot or one of the rear driveshafts broken. With the handbrake applied we have motion on the front axle, double speed that is :). Drove home with 4x4 locked.

Before I open up the rear diff, is this a known problem? Can anyone give me a hint where to look at? Also, are the rear axles fullfloating so I can remove the driveshafts with ease? I am a moderate DIY mechanic but have no experience on landrovers whatsoever. (have a 1980 Chevy G30 myself)

Cheers,

Timo

Reply to
Timo Wildschut

I'd say your diagnosis is correct - but have a look at the drive flanges before pulling the shafts - there was a (large) batch of incorrectly heat-treated drive flanges at about the time the vehicle in question was built which leads to stripped splines on the flanges. It's quite possible, if this is the case, that the half-shafts will still be ok and not need pulling.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

As Beamends says - probable trouble is one of the drive flanges on the outer end of the drive axles is stripped. This seems to be a known problem with TD5 110s - I am not sure that the problem is heat treatment, rather that the changed arrangement of hub seals leaves the splines able to run dry, and when they do, they rapidly wear out, especially in a dusty environment. To replace them you do not even have to jack it up, to check it, just pry the hubcap off. The spline on the axle may or may not be worn enough to need replacement. JD

Reply to
JD

Thanx for the fast replies all.

I took out the toolkit and did some research. It is indeed one of the hub flanges stripped out. The driveshaft itself is stripped aswell. Went to local dealer and ordered shaft, flange and seal. Gonna cost ?350, ouch. Luckily it's not my car :) Parts will be delivered in a few days. This all happened on the right side. Will it be just a matter of time before the leftside will fail too? I noticed a lot of black dust in the right side dustcap, only a small amount of reddish dust in the left one.

Cheers,

Timo

Reply to
Timo Wildschut

I think it is likely that the other side will also wear, but regularly applying a small amount of lubricant will postpone it indefinitely. Also note that the amount of movement on the splines depends on how much play there is on the wheel bearings - there should be 0.002" from memory, and excess play greatly increases movement and hence wear on the spline. (rotational movement only occurs when going from drive to overrun but longitudinal movement occurs every turn of the wheel, as the free play on the bearings allows the wheel to be at a slightly different angle to half axle) JD

Reply to
JD

Got the parts today, whas very easy to install. I pulled the other side and it looked fine. I gave it a big dap of grease and considered the job done :)

Thank you all for the info,

Timo

Reply to
Timo Wildschut