Result...

should collect it thursday, all being well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

How heavy and where ? Maybe I can fit it in my 101 for you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

ooooh, nice. ;)

Don't forget to bolt it down ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Very nice, not a bad price either!

I have a southbend lying in the garage, must get round to setting it up sometime!!

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:45:17 +0100, Steve enlightened us thusly:

Hmmm, that's a thought. It'd save me a trip. "Cheshire" is all I know at the moment.

's about 5'x4'x3', and 1300lb I think, so a bit more'n half a ton. They claim to have gear to load it, and provided I can get it to go high enough, I can unload using the engine crane, which is good for 2T. Wasn't going to be a problem if I hire a small plant trailer as was my original plan.

Should be OK if you get it on headstock-forward, the tailstock will be less of a barrier to the lifting device, and in any case is probably not too hard to get off if necessary.

Can you secure it suitably so it won't shift around on the road?

It'd be a big help if you can. I've plenty to do besides spending half-a-day plus going to Cheshire ATM. Would certainly earn you (another) pint or two.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:35:35 +0100, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

it weighs over half a ton, I doubt it needs it. I'll mostly only be doing small, balanced work in it anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well I certainly pass through "Cheshire, and I'm taking the boys' chairs off their mounts, so there SHOULD be room. And it will be fun carrying a bit of mass on the back for a change.... I trust a minor contribution to the LPG might be made ???

How HIGH is it ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I've always wondered why, on ebay you can search by postcode to find local items (and itll tell you how many miles away they are), but you cant get the postcode up for an auction item!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Sometimes, I haven't worked out why you only get the distance on some items. Maybe the sellor hasn't filling in their post code?

So you can't plug said postcode into multimap or similar and find out where the item is within a few hundred yards. Then go and "borrow" the item...

You could get all the delivery points for a given postcode from the some Post Office site, haven't looked recently but I expect you still can.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi Austin, Have you found out why he listed it with hydaulic copying also catch plate, see if he has a four jaw chuck to go with it as they fetch a fair bit seeing they have a LO fitting on the rear of the chuck so you cant fit any old chuck. Before I forget make sure you get the spanner for undoing the chuck. its a pity its not up and running so you can check the gear change as the gears on Students are known for being noisy. Happy turning. Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

On or around Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:08:50 +0100, Steve enlightened us thusly:

'bout 4 ft. And I can offer actual LPG, provided you get here with space to put it in... needs wither and ACME screw adaptor or the kind of adaptor thread on the vehicle which is about 18mm or so diameter.

Given the latter, I have an adaptor, and there's still a few hundred litres of gas in the bulk tank.

Not far of M62 J11, from the address I've now got. Postal address is Warrington, but luckily not necessary actually to go to the pesky place.

I've asked what they have in the way of lifting gear. Might be questionable if it's overhead, unless you're prepared to undo the back of the hood and move a few hoops. Wouldn't have been an issue with a flatbed trailer, which I originally had in mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:07:42 +0100, "Rotty" enlightened us thusly:

I imagine it was listed like that and then later the bits were removed.

Apparently the Mk 1 was noisy when new. Something to do with the type of headstock gears - Mk2s are more expensive when they show up and have better and quieter gears.

Happier than with the current machine, I hope :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

My mate thought exactly the same. It does .....

If the stuff's balanced already then you'll likely get away with it, but, as above, my mate found the greatest improvement in the quality of finish he got was from bolting the lathe down rigidly, especially (strangely?) when facing stuff..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yeha, i guess that is the reason.

Yeah - I see the reasoning behind that - but they could leave the 'distance in miles' on there.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I have to pass jn 11, we are at jn 19. I'm happy to drop the tilt off to load it, doesn't take long.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

This is an interesting spin on the old thread of getting Posh Ted from one end of the country to t'other. Moving heavy engineering machinery certainly has more street cred ;-)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:31:23 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

'specially in a 101.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:31:23 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

'ere, what happened to Posh Ted, anyway?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:29:38 +0100, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

's a good point, and I'll look into it. The existing one is too small, really, hence the replacement - I could do the work that's needed on the current one, but it's still too small.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A lathe landed on him.....

Steve