Ser III radiator

Which part is thicker? My earlier Series vehicles have had radiators with a bigger (front to rear) top tank and large filler cap, but the core itself is only half that thickness, and the later ones have a smaller top tank with small filler cap, but the core is still a similar dimension.

I have had Series radiators re-cored with a thicker core (extra row of tubes) to get better cooling for some of the engine conversions I've done, but that has always been a special order item.

Reply to
EMB

I seem to remember there were two thicknesses of radiator, probably optional. But the thinner one is quite adequate provided there is no other problem unless you live in a very hot climate and use the vehicle stationary with a PTO etc. If you live in a normal climate - temperatures rarely above 40C - and use the vehicle for normal purposes the thinner radiator is adequate. But it has less spare capacity to cope with loss of cooling such as partial blockage of air or water passages or excessive heat due to incorrect timing. Note that there are other problems that will cause overheating regardless of the radiator - these include coolant leaks, eroded water pump impeller, loss of pressurisation, faulty hoses, faulty thermostat, leaking head gasket. But you will probably have looked at most of these. JD

Reply to
JD

Hi all I have had a year of trying to solve overheating problems on my 1973 109". Just had a look at a 1983 version with same engine but the radiator was nearly twice as thick as mine! Is it possible that the 2,25 of old had a thinner radiator or have I got something wrong fitted to my machine?

James

Reply to
jamsan

Reply to