SOME SCROTE HAS NICKED MY DISCO.

HI All,

I live in Wellingborough, its red 2.5tdi on a K, If you see it and its still perfect let me know, if you see it and its not perfect then add your curse to mine on whoever nicked it,I hope it blows up between their legs.!!

Sorry all, as you will apreciate I'm a bit pissed off . After all the help I have had on here and plenty of elbow grease it was a nice car, my pride and joy.

Advise now please, I have very little money to spare ..say £2500 I want another one.

Realisticaly what do the 300tdi do to the gallon. What about a v8 on gas

I have seen a few oldens that I could afford 200tdi the odd one or two 300tdi and several v8 RR What about autos , what are they like on fuel.

As the temper rises yet again (bastards,gits.missbegoten one hump camels..please add any further expletives you can think of)) will the hurt never go?

All that effort.

Thanks for the"shoulder to cry on"

John Ho yes......thought to be 2 guys in a silver vectra, one about late

20s 5/10 thin other late 30s looked thickset but didnot getout of the car,both well dressed. might be a complete red herring but were seen to enter our special parking area on 3 occassions in thePM of thursday ,I discovered loos Friday 7am

Hi Ho

Reply to
Long tall ugly

If you don't get it back and fancy a V8 on gas, take a look at:

.mother

any distinguishing marks on your motor? red Disco's are not that rare so owt might help, last 3 letters of reg as well.

2.5k should buy something very nice indeed expect high 20's mpg out of a 300 I've only been running Miles for a relatively short while but he seems a little less thirsty than Kato the 200 and a deal more comfortable at cruising speeds. Buy an auto and expect the fuel consumption to suffer I have seen claims of a 3-4mpg penalty but that may vary according to driving conditions NB the later 300 auto's have electronic fuel management systems.

Derek

300TDi Disco Miles 200TDi Disco Kato (in custody of SWMBO)
Reply to
Derek

In message , Long tall ugly writes

Maybe they really will rot in hell. I certainly hope so.

I have now had the auto Disco 300tdi for 3 months and have done over

4.5k miles in it. This is local mileage to the paper shop, much Liverpool centre driving (can any other city have screwed up the roads like this?) and the 80 mile each way drive across Wales aka stationary on the A55, then working as a tractor with the boat trailer. Every drop of fuel has been logged and the mpg varies between about 25.5 and 28. The vehicle has always carried a heavy load of tools, rope etc. It's R reg and I paid the asking price of 3250 from LandRanger, who serviced, repaired a whole bunch of minor faults under their warranty, and carried out some Waxoyling. The only thing they haven't fixed is the cruise control, which we have more or less given up on. I'm delighted so far with the vehicle and the deal, and would definitely go to a dealer like them again. I saw some utter rubbish elsewhere while I was looking.

The one thing that worried me, when coming from a 200tdi Defender, was the "mushiness" of the Disco suspension and how this would behave when in tractor mode. This has been fine, but this auto diesel feels noticeably less mushy than the 2 V8's I tried. Maybe the lower power hurts the springs a bit less?

Hope you find a way forward

Reply to
Bill

Woha..

Im in Rushden - thats too close to home.

Ill keep my eyes open for it.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Hay people,

thanks very much for the encouragement, and Mother that is very tempting but a long way from home. Derek the last letters are EHE ,the only real mark is accross the front edge of the bonet thin line about 8 inches long. If you look REARLY carefuly you can see the knife marks where the stripes were put on it originaly,it was covered in yellow/black dayglow stripes. Bill , that sounds encouraging a little less mpg than my maual but the auto would have huge benefits for my legs.I could proberbly get one in my range a little older than yours. My son-in-law lives up in Manchester and says they are alot cheeper up there, but as I pointed out to him I would spend more in train fares than I would I would buying a Disco here in Northampton, (different matter if I had my car). Mark, I gave all the details of the "suspects" in the original post so stick a steering wheel lock on it and hope that my Disco satisfied their needs. I never thought I could get so "uptight" over a car!!!

Gratefully

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

Nice, tempted,V8 gas but somewhat older than what I have. Mind you I wish mine would stop the 'new owner test'. I've had the blooming thing 3.5 years and expensive bits are still breaking, 88,000 miles isn't a big mileage either for a 2001. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Aint it cheaper on one of those "have it away day supersaver offpeak tickets"? £26 on the bus but 4 1/2 hours? I always thought they had an express service northants to manc seems not. If you watch the ebays and autotraders there seem to be a fair few bargains in Cornwall/Devon and that south bit of Wales plus for unfathomable reasons a lot south of the Humber? Pricewise there is a wide spectrum wherever you look I bought my 300 very cheaply ( project) but had a lot of work to do I've seen a lot worse offered for silly money usually with rotten floors good luck with the searching and hopefully a speedy return of your old pal -not 'just' a car you do get attached to them. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sun, 11 May 2008 16:39:46 +0100, Long tall ugly enlightened us thusly:

The 300 TDi suitably fettled and driven tidily will go over 30 mpg but not by much.

V8 on gas will do about the same pence-per-mile, makes a nicer noise, probably more hassle though 'cos you still get issues finding the gas to put in.

Autos are nice in a V8 but sluggish in a TDi unless you get it tuned up seriously, although they work OK - you need to use plenty of welly I think in a TDi auto, to get the turbo working. Overall, the 4-speed ZF is a good bit of kit and there aren't too many gotchas. It can suffer if run in N at idle too much, If you want to run at idle for longish periods, the advice is to put the box in D and the transfer in N. Although you do need to remember to put the box back in N and wait for it to come to a stop before trying to put the T-box back into gear :-)

Other than that, the auto box should have fluid changes and screen (filter) changes at regular intervals (20K miles comes to mind) and these can get neglected.

Pull the box dispstick and if the fluid isn't nice clean red colour then walk away. Especially, if the fluid is brown and "burnt" smelling, means the box has been worked hard and not maintained.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

After a 200 I found the 300 sluggish, despite lots of tweaking. I'm told the best tweak is to remove the cat. I didn't do that. The comfort was nice but it always felt like it was struggling and returned

28 mpg to the 200's 35. I'd have another 200 but not a 300. TonyB
Reply to
TonyB

On or around Fri, 16 May 2008 20:57:27 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

They're very nearly the same engine. Suitable tweaks and remove the cat, and they should go about the same.

The 200s were noted for being smokey, I reckon personally that LR went OTT with the 300 trying to make it look "green" and not make black smoke. When we first got ours it was crap - no low-down torque at all. By the time we got rid of it I'd sorted it, and it went quite well and also returned more MPG.

de-cat, advance the pump timing a tad, increase the max revs to about 5500 and tweak up the fuelling. Also blocked the EGR incase that was sticking, although it probably wasn't.

Other things to check and correct if necessary include boost pressure (is it up to spec?) and whether the throttle pedal is indeed opening the pump fully.

There's more you can do by way of bigger intercoolers and more boost, if you really want it to go...

There's another point - the 300 disco especially is very high-geared. It'll quite readily (sutiably tuned and with suitable road tyres) do 100 in 5th.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi All,

Sorry to be so slow in replying with thanks but because of the advice and encoridgement, I got me head down and inspected (what I think is) every bloody Disco for sale in the world! It is truly amazing how much some people think a pile of rust and odd mechanical bits is worth. Any way I have procured a 94 300tdi auto with full leather, 1 years MOT, TAX and delivery to my home for £1500. As you have said its not as quick as the old 200tdi but if I tweek as Austin describes (is there a place that gives data on these tweeks?) I will be most satisfied,it is even more comfortable for my situation than the 200tdi so I am not overly bothered how quick it is. (no sun roof that is a bit of abind but I have acan opener some whare that I can fix that with) Don't you think it strange they way the ladies view the cars,the thing that swung it for SWMBO was the silver / black side steps on it????

I did notice that all the 300tdis have a problem with the dash curling up and I'm told the fix is expensive because the screen has to come out to retro fit a fix. I am sure some one on here can tell me how to get round it without moving the screen.

Sorry for trhe epistle,I.m a bit like a dog with two tales now I have another Disco and gratful for the help and encoridgement to get off my arse and look!

Thanks all

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

Congrats on the buy mate sounds good value for that money how many did you see with lace boot floors? I would have killed to have the leather seats as well. Vicky was deeply pissed when I took the ( admittedly ) grotty sidesteps off Kato, she being a deal shorter than me now she is using Kato full time I'm expecting a big parcel off Ebay and the compressor running when I get home one night.

Derek Kato 200TDi Disco Miles 300TDi Disco

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 17 May 2008 17:27:48 +0100, Long tall ugly enlightened us thusly:

email me for more data, remove the bit that looks like it needs removing or I won't see it.

I fixed ours with some strips of steel and a few screws, drill through and screw the sod down. summat like 13x3, in 2 parts, one at the end and a longer one in the middle With suitable care you can get a small drill, and screwdriver, in to do this without removing the screen.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Parts made to fit cost around 40-50 of yer British pounds

Like Austin says, a little care and you'll get it fitted. Seem to recall I used one of those right-angle chuck adaptors to drill the pilot holes and a short stubby philips/pozi to fix the screws.

Also, note the parts are not high tech or precision fit. I wouldn't bother with the kit again. Hindsight is 20/20.

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Sun, 18 May 2008 06:26:58 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

It was seeing the kit you got that set me thinking about my fix.

Reply to
Austin Shackles