which Disco has central difflock?

Hi, I am looking at buying a secondhand Disco. The guy at the local 4WD club told me not to buy a 2002 version as it does not have central difflock switch. According to him the later and earlier versions do have this. Can anyone confirm?

Reply to
danny

My 2000 disco II does not even have the operating arm on the transfer box, according to various sources it should have at that age, with it being discontinued in late 2001 then reintroduced again late 2002 / early 2003! To be honest, with all the tracksion control goodies it just doesn't need a centre diff lock, unless you want to do some serious stuff with it? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:24:40 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

There are 2 arguments "for" that I consider good:

1) the difflock will work if the TC goes awol. 2) by locking the diff you have more chance of it standing still when you jack a wheel up on a slope.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

There is also the theory that TC only starts to work when traction has already been lost, whereas the difflock will help prevent you losing it in the first place. Might make a small difference. I'm thinking perhaps of snow driving, where keeping the traction you have is essential, rather than trying to get moving again when it has been lost.

Having said that, I tried out my Disco II on a bank with a big axle twister yesterday, and the TC was pretty good - much better than expected (and much better than my previous DII, which was the same MY).

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In message , Badger writes

The theory was that with TC you didn't need a centre diff-lock. The practice was why the reintroduced it.

Reply to
hugh

I have a 2000 Disco II Td5

No mention of a diff lock anywhere

Reply to
Harpic

I have a '96 Disco I with the central lock. Works great. I grenaded the rear pumpkin. Pulled the axles. Dropped the 3rd member and drove around for 3 weeks locking the front axle until I was able to obtain the new parts.No damage to the transfer box.

The CDL is not standard on the Disco II. You can however purchase an aftermarket kit to lock the axles on Disco II's. I found a tech article explaining just how at the following:

I seem to remember that Land Rover has a "genuine" part number for a CDL post '99-2003.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Jack

But that kit only works on vehicles that actually have the CDL gubbins fitted in the transfer box, mine (and many others, no doubt) haven't. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:24:16 -0500, "Jack" enlightened us thusly:

does anyone understand that?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, but guessing;

he broke the rear diff, removed the rear half shafts & prop shaft, and then drove around for 3 weeks with the diff lock engaged.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

TFFT! I thought he'd been involved in a horrific trick or treat accident with a Landrover club member for a minute.

;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

A yankee fsckwit has a front wheel drive disco? :-)

Reply to
EMB

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:40:07 +0000, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

no, but if he's using a pumpkin fo a rear diff, it explains why he had to use diff lock to get drive to the front axle!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs