Squeaking 300Tdi -- cured!

Thanks to whoever it was suggested putting school room chalk on the fan belt of my 300Tdi to cure the squeak.

I didn't actually use that sort of chalk but by a bit of extrapoloation ended up with baby powder on the assumption that it probably contains French chalk and talcum powder. Surgeons etc. use talcum powder to "lubricate" surgical gloves and I seem to remember French chalk is/was used to lubricate bicycle inner tubes. Anyway, it worked like a dream! Thanks!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Derry I have been using silicone spay todate but find that after rain I need to reapply - how does the baby powder seem to be coping in these situations

Reply to
Grant at EH

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Grant at EH) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m15.aol.com:

Still squeaking! :(

Spoke to a retired engineer and LR enthusiast the other day and he explained the problem as minute wear on the tension pulley which causes the belt to move from side to side -- and squeak.

Certainly nothing dangerous and a well known characteristic of the 300's. He also suggested, as others have, changing the belt and pulley which would solve the problem temporarily. An expensive way of getting no where!

But to be fair, I only put baby powder on two small sections of belt. Just hitting the starter momentarily will move the belt a few inches without starting up the fan (which blows the powder off the belt!) so I will probably give this a more comprehensive test when it stops raining.

Engineers use some proprietory stuff to lubricate belts. This information comes from a team of engineers at a local works but they could not lay their hands on a can of it stuff to give me a sample. But it sounds worth a try. Haven't done a search yet as I am hoping something "liberated" might save a pound or two!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

On or around 29 Dec 2003 08:02:31 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

It's behind you!!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"belt dressing" -- check at an agricultural engineers. There are a lot of belts and chains in combine harvesters, for instance. I know John Deere have spray-on chain-lube and belt dressing in own-brand cans.

Derry, you _ought_ to know this.

Reply to
David G. Bell

My squeak (or, rather, my 300Tdi's squeak) went for good after I had a "modified V belt" fitted. I can't remember what the LR part number is but I might still have the wrapper somewhere.

I had taken my Disco to a main dealer about 5 or 6 times to get this squeak sorted. Eventually I took it to a different dealer who suggested the modified belt. Apparently it's a softer rubber and is not suited to off-road work as it may get worn out if it's subjected to lots of mud/grit etc. The labour cost for replacing the belt was paid for under the LR warranty but I had to buy the belt mysalf as they can't replace one part with a different one.... or so they told me! It was about £12, I think.

I had this done about 12,000 miles ago (I think) and I've not heard a squeak since. This was after replacing the alternator, the belt, the pulleys and squirting everything with WD40, 3-in-1, talc etc etc.

I'll be having my 72,000 service (and cam belt change) done in the next month or two...... so am expecting loads of squeaks after that!

Judith

Reply to
Judith

snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk:

Yes, but is it free???

You don't seem to understand that I am waiting for my tame engineer to do some liberating!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Grant at EH posted ...

Dunno, but mine's been 'cured' by using a few puffs of graphite powder, more usually used for locks. It's a dry powder available from decent Locksmiths ... Or by grinding a pencil centre or two down ... ;)

Applied it sparingly over three weeks ago and it's survived full engine bay immersion and about 90 miles of tough, though mainly dry but still muddy, off-roading, plus about 800 wet and dry motorway miles and about 120 miles of 'green-lane' level off-roading. Still without a squeak or even a hint of a squeak.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Hi there I had this problem once and it started shortly after going in for a service at the LR dealer. They changed the tensioner pully and thats where the trouble started. When I complained about the noise they said it happens sometimes and that it will slowly go away and I should just use a little belt dressing if the noise bothers me. Well 10 months later and a few cans of belt dressing i took it to another shop - non LR - and they figured that the nut holding the tensioner pully had been overtightened and that had stripped the thread on the alloy casing where the stud screws into. This caused the tension of the belt to pull the pulley out of alignment by just a fraction. This was all that was needed to create the squeak that actually got worse not better as the pully went further and further out of alignment.

The solution was to put a metal spiral thread insert (I'm not sure if this is the correct name) into the alloy casing. This allowed us to tighten the tensioner pulley flush against the casing and it has worked fine since then. - about 80 000 km and still going strong.

Reply to
Bruce

|| The solution was to put a metal spiral thread insert (I'm not sure || if this is the correct name) into the alloy casing.

Helicoil? Haven't needed one for 20 years. I must be getting better (I used to need about one every service when I ran an East European bike.)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:02:07 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but the were made of plasticene. Friend had a Neval (or somesuch) and the whole of one cylinder fell out of the crankcase.

Reply to
Austin Shackles