Re: Squeaking 300Tdi?? Solved!

Solved? Well, sort of!

I sprayed some water on the belt this morning from a rose sprayer. Squeak instantly disappeared, to start again half a minute later!

Anyway, that is good news and maybe I will just put up with it (for the time being) as a mechanic I spoke to suggested I should.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will take a close look at the belt when I fit the timing modification kit. Just glad it was nothing more serious as the bank manager has been on the phone enquiring about the progress of repairing the accident damaged D90 (yes, I bought the salvage -- a snip at £650).

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Derry

I had the same squeaking on my 300Tdi some months ago now until someone suggested chalk. I thought this would be a waist of time, but tried it all the same. Get some back board chalk, rub it on a file or sand paper to make some dust and apply the dust to the inside of the belt. The effect for me was instant for me, and the squeak hasn't returned yet.

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty

G'day Derry..

Had the same with my machine. Worried about the pump bearings and everything else until spraying and finding it _was_ the belt travel.

What to do... with something that will _last_ ? !!!.... 'soap' will last a few days ! :))

The _very best_ stuff I've found that will last for many, many months is pure "silicone".... ( yes, '-one' _not_ '-on'). It's used as a releasing agent in plastics extrusion ( amongst other things like creams and stuff). One lot is made by 'Toshiba'.

Best wishes,

.... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

Hi Derry, pleased to read this. Enjoy as it is probably one of the cheapest LR faults/diagnosis that you'll experience. Try the dry belt lube, or surf board wax and this should get rid of the noise.

Cheers

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Dr. Zog's finest, I would imagine.

Reply to
QrizB

On or around 9 Dec 2003 20:10:24 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

check the tension, it should be quite tight. also try reversing the belt, i.e. take it of and put it back on the other way round.

Reply to
Austin Shackles