timing belt renewal on 2.5na

started on a timing belt change and discovered a few bits that we appeared not to have in hand

  1. is a water pump gasket required as part of the process - or does the old gasket usually survive the pump removal process ?

  1. can one of the gasket in a tube products be used on the water pump in lieu of the "paper" gasket ?

  2. what size of socket is required to fit the end cap of the crankshaft ? Tried rolling it with a fitters wrench but it required more tourque than we're comfortable putting on an open end wrench

Is there any danger of the engine firing when being rolled by hand ?

  1. we fabricated the flywheel timing stop pin and have new seals , gaskets , pulley and belt but missed the water pump gasket

This is our first attempt at replacing the timing belt - believe it or not our 87 110 has only come due for replacement . We've only had it a few months and based on mileage its due - it may have been changed previously but we have no way to contact previous owners as they live on the other side of the country or have returned to Britain .

advice will be appreciated - we have the Haynes & Rover manuals - and a decent collection of tools but the first time on any of these projects always seems a bit daunting

Ross Grant Crofton Vancouver Island Canada

Reply to
ross grant

CThe old one may survive or you can cut one out of a stiff brown paper bag if you're worried and use a smear of Hylomar or similar when you fit it.

Probably, although I'm generally loathe to do so.

Remove the glow plugs - it makes turning the engine easy.

Reply to
EMB

i found this too on mine

a proper gasket is better but sealant will just about do the job,

you mean the crank pulley nut?

bastard big. From the top of my head it is 41mm (which may make it

1and 5/8ths?). have a google through the group as weve discussed it before.

it will require a big breaker bar and a scaffold pole to remove. Mine required a couple of hefty mechanics and a very powerful air impact wrench. - or are you at the point of refitting it?

i doubt it - but pull the wire off the fuel cut solenoid and it wont do owt!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Get an assistant to stick her in gear and stand on the brakes saves arseing about trying to lock up the flywheel . Derek

Reply to
Derek