Timing belt woes

I'm changing the timing belt on my 1998 300 TDi and have come unstuck trying to get the timing gear off the crank shaft to replace the crank shaft oil seal. I know there is a 'special' tool to do this, but does anyone know where I can get one cheap, or a way around it. I've tried making a 'puller' but the timing gear is REALLY stuck fast and I'm afraid of stripping the threads in the gear.

Hope one of you experts out there can offer some advice.

Thanks, Icky.

Reply to
the ickys

Can you get away with warming it up with oxy bottles?

-- Jon

Reply to
Jon

A trick that I used on my Toyota was to get a long VERY STRONG breaker bar and attach the proper VERY STRONG socket onto it. Then put that on the crank pulley and rotate the breaker bar so it is hitting the frame. Then give the starter a quick nudge with the key. The force of the engine trying to turn over should break the pulley loose.

Keep in mind, I have never tried this on a Rover....only a Toyota. It does work quite well though!

Reply to
David Blasingame

Reply to
the ickys

On or around 5 Jun 2004 22:32:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ipa.net (David Blasingame) enlightened us thusly:

common trick for crank pulley bolts, but I've never actually tried it.

Mostly what i do is get the strong bar etc and pound on it with a hammer.

if there's access, an air impact wrench will do it, or one of those cordless electric ones.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And stand WELL BACK.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks for the advice so far, though I think they maybe some misunderstanding. It's not the crank pulley I'm struggling with, it's the toothed timing gear that the belt runs on.

Anyone...?

Thanks, Icky.

Reply to
the ickys

uk.rec.cars.maintenance might be able to help.

Reply to
wayne

I've resorted to this trick once, even when an inch drive impact wrench wouldn't shift it... it works!

The problem with the timing gear cog on the crank is that the threaded holes for the puller are only something like M4 so it doesn't take a lot to pull the threads. I made a puller and wound it as tight as I dared, then gave the sides of the cog a good belt with a lump hammer and big thick punch. That also worked. Failing that, call an air strike! (oxyacetaline) warm the cog with the puller wound up tight. Don't worry about the seals, just keep the flame off the alloy housings! Toby

Reply to
TVS

I had this problem as well - get yourself a pry bar and slot it behind the gear and very gently lever it out working your way round. Be very carefull not to chip anything, but this worked for me.

Failing that, you need a little bit of flat steel plate and a bit of (6mm?) threaded rod and you can make yourself a puller. Shout if you need more help.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

try

they sell a complete puller kit for £99 which suits n/a

200tdi and 300tdi
Reply to
M0bcg