Towing Electrics

Just fitted a new socket on the back. The old one was rusted. Have carefully checked all connections and everything works except the nearside rear light. Can't see any obvious break so must be somewhere in the loom and I do not have the expertise to find out where.

Would it be possible simply to run a wire across the back of the socket from the rear offside light connector to the nearside one or would this be a recipe for disaster.

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Possibly, I think the left and right are on separate circuits and fuses, doing that would effectively join the two. Does the left rear lamp on the car still work?

Reply to
Oily

The left/right rear lights on the trailer socket (12N) are different circuits carried on pins 5 and

Dave Liquorice

The rear (fog), reversing, brake and indicator lamps all work and what I had in mind was running a wire between pins 5 and 7 so that the power obviously getting to one rear lamp can then be transferred to the other

It's a case of wanting to know if this is possible

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Theoretically possible, but as has been stated by a previous poster, this would connect the two previous separately fused lighting circuits and I wouldn't like to predict what would happen under fault conditions! Also bear in mind you would be running a further 5 lamps (on the caravan) off that circuit.

It shouldn't be that difficult to find the feed to the rear tail lamp. What vehicle is it?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

this would connect the two previous separately fused lighting circuits and I wouldn't like to predict what would happen under fault conditions! Also bear in mind you would be running a further 5 lamps (on the caravan) off that circuit.

There will be no problem if the link is made on the back of the socket and the non-working wire is left disconnected. The only thing to check is the rating of the fuse and the wiring is capable of handling the one extra lamp.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I forgot to add, I assume that you have checked that the fault is not in the plug or wiring to the trailer lamp.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It's not one extra lamp though is it? Or am I getting confused?

If you link those two wires on the back of the socket the working (car) sidelight circuit will then be feeding on the caravan:

2 x rear lights 1 x number plate light 2 x white marker lights at front.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

If you link the 2, you than have the scenario, that just one further fault would leave no lights working on the caravan,

I have always worked on the theory that the seperate feeds mean that if one circuit fails you would still have one rear light working ,,

Reply to
Smurf

I assume you have checked the earth on the offending lamp.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Both of em?

Reply to
Nige

Checked the bulb?

Reply to
Giles Ayling

Checked the bulb?

Reply to
Giles Ayling

Thanks to all for the advice

I think the best and safest solution is going to be finding the fault in the wiring - the trailer lights work properly on another vehicle so it must be mine

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Dodgy software or dodgy fingers

Reply to