Turbo diesel 90 keeps fading./stopping

Most of the time my turbo diesel 90 runs fine, but some days the battery-not-charging light will flicker for a while, and eventually come full on, at which point the engine dies, sometimes just back to idle, sometimes stopping completely. Wait a few seconds and we're back in business.

The charge light is not a result of the engine dying - it happens just before, so appears to indicate a cause rather than an effect. The alternator may be a bit on the dodgy side as charging is perhaps not as good as it could be, but I can still start on these cold mornings without using a charger.

Surely if the alternator failed then the fuel shutoff valve (the only piece of vital elecrics on the td as far as I know) would still run off the battery?

Any ideas?

Reply to
PaulD

look under passenger seat to see if you have a split charge blocking diode fitted, 4BD i think the number is , it looks like an ignition coil . it may be this that has failed .

you may not have one fitted but then again you may have like i did .

i fitted a new diode to mine but it never really charged properly, in end i took it out and went direct from battery to alternator .

youre problem sounds like fuses though to me , especially if engine dies , it may be the fuse to the stop solenoid .

the solenoid on mine is sandwiched between fuel filter and top of the filter housing .

check the fuses and make sure they make good contact .

just in case ,beware when steam cleaning back of engine bay , as the water can get into the relays by the fuse board and cause some odd problems for a short while until dried out .

Reply to
M0bcg

maybe something to do with the engine loom connector plug?

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....