V8 fault, evidence!

still on the trail of the elusive fault...

fitting new leads and posh red coil made it run significantly better. However, the basic fault is still around...

looking today I narrowed the rough idle down to an erratic #1 cylinder by the brilliant tactic of unplugging plug leads one at a time. I'd not bothered with this before as the fault doesn't present as a regular misfire, sometimes all 8 are firing, sometimes not.

So, out with the compression tester, crank 'er over, 4 bar. Bugger.

now being as it's just had new rings in honed bores, I'm inclined to suspect the head or head gasket. Shouldn't be the latter, the surfaces were clean and looked good when it was reassembled, and it was torqued down carefully.

I admit that when putting it back together I didn't actually examine the heads in detail, nor did I grind in the valves - I did examine them reasonably closely for evidence of burnt exhaust valves or recessed seats, and saw no such evidence - I figured therefore that I'd leave it well alone

- I didn't at that time suspect a head fault; if you've just found a damned great hole in #6 piston, it's not hard to work out that that was the piston which was misfiring...

So, head off for a looksee, probably at half-term in a month or so, and hope that it's nothing too serious. It's not losing any coolant, which is hopefully a good sign.

The thing I don't understand is how this fault affects the running so impressively. The only thing that spring to mind is that it could be a dodgy inlet valve, and thus be blowing back into the inlet manifold, and so upsetting the gas supply at low revs. At high throttle openings and higher revs, there's lots of air coming into the manifold, so a minor leak back wouldn't show. Now a dodgy inlet valve is an unlikely beast, really, but it could be.

Is it possible for an hydraulic followers to be to "strong", thus not allowing the valve to shut properly?

I guess this is the point at which I pull the cam and put the other cam, followers and pushrods in, too - would make sense, and eliminate any possible faulty follower, and maybe the other set of rocker shafts, which are nearly new, to eliminate a sticky rocker. Didn't notice any problems with the rockers when reassembling recently, though.

I now suspect that this fault has been around since before the piston failure on #6, and was masked by that, and didn't get fixed at the time. The engine showed signs of a weak cylinder, but I'd assumed that this was #6 on its way out, evidently wrongly.

Just hope it's not a cracked head...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, it's possible for one to fail to bleed. Did you check the followers for the correct preload of 30 to 50 thou?

Got plenty if you need, mostly very mildly gas flowed! BTW, looked out that injection manifold for you last night, hoping to get a chance to take it to snail mail office tomorrow for a posting quote. Sorry for delays, up to my eyes in it at moment with house sales, changing cars, work, solicitors etc. etc. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

remove inlet manifold and check cam lobes very carefully, high mileage units suffer from cam wear. it is possible for lifter to jack up, not very common on v8 though more so on 'k' series, have seen cracked liners before but then you generally get coolant/oil mix

Reply to
Andy Reeve

On or around Sat, 1 May 2004 22:13:54 +0100, "Andy Reeve" enlightened us thusly:

the cam in this one is suprisingly good. I do, however, have a 3.9 cam and it's followers which have only done about 20K miles in another engine, and a set of cute tubular pushrods from Real Steel, so may fit all of them. 'course, I'll have to get the front pulley off it, which has a sod-off bolt with starting handle dogs. did someone reckon it was inch-an-an-eighth AF?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:09:04 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

come off it, you don't expect me to *check* things, do you?

in my defence, I will say th following:

If you're hunting the cause of a misfire, and find a piston with a hole burnt in it, you tend to assume you've found the culprit.

excellent. if you manage it before the end of the month, I might leave it running on 7½ cylinders till then, assuming it remains reasonably well-behaved, and then I can change everything at once, rather than pissing about doing one thing and then another. Might even get it together to change the cam over at the same time. Presumably, a non-drinaing follower is only likely to be blocked with scunge and could be made to work again?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

thusly:

Yes........?

Fair comment.

I'll try!!!!

Not worth it, you'll never get it truly clean and it's normally a bit of "scunge" that causes the followers internals to score and wear, which is whatr causes them to seize. I take it you've got a good set of followers matched to the lobes of the 3.9 cam?

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 3 May 2004 13:40:37 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

yep, they were all installed new at the same time - no visible wear at all on the followers, and the cam has only just got polished, no sign of wearing lobes, as indeed I should hope, as it's only done about 20K miles. The pushrods came later - cute, they are - steel tube with a ball bearing welded to each end. slightly lighter than the standard ones and presumably somewhat stiffer.

Also got almost-new rocker shafts, although I'm not that bothered about changing them, there's not much wear on the ones in this engine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles