VIC Test

Today is turning into a bad one...

The guy that bought my old defender has just called me...

The DVLA will not issue a new V5 until a VIC test has been done on it.

When i sold it, it was sold for cash and as sold as seen. He had a good look round it, but did not ask any question about it - He was aware it was in a ditch though. Becky and I had already agreed that if he asked, we would tell him about the history.

I have a 'Sold As Seen Tried and Tested' Form that we both have signed and dated.

The DVLA have now written to him saying he needs the test, and he is now aware that it was written off as a Cat C.

I have spoken to the DVLA myself, and as far as they are concerned, the vehicle is his, and has nothing to do with me.

Im more than happy telling him to do one, as long as i am legally allowed to!

I am after some advice, just incase this gets more involved.....

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Well, if you told him all about it before he bought it and he still bought it, and he signed something that basically said "yes i understand what i was told and i still want it" then I cant see as he's got any comeback on you (this'll be where someone'll prove wrong innit!)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

bad form i know replying to own post

, but i remember buying a horsebox, and after a couple of hours it didnt seem right. When we got to the small claims court the judge said "you signed the form, Caveat Emptor"

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Tough, he bought signed said document ( presumably not under duress ) his problem.

Good Luck

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

There's nothing wrong with having the VIC test anyway, what's he moaning about, it's only to check the numbers to make sure it's not been repaired with stolen parts, he bought it with any damage as seen so now he will know if it's legit, he should be happy. Costs £36 though, I've just had one checked this morning. It's not as if you were hiding anything so caveat emptor.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Ive nothing to hide. It was repaired by a land rover garage, and ive got lots of pics of it in its 'written off' state - (bent door, roof, wing no windscreen)

It was only written off because Elephant.co.uk are shit.

They only allow repair quotes from the OEM. So the cost of a paint, parts and labour from a LR garage made the bill thousands..

Ive had a quick look, and the nearese VIC station seems to be 50 miles away in Birmingham. He's prolly gonna get the arse about that!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

's what you've got to put up with, not all the testing stations do it, you've got to fill in a second choice, mine was 45 miles away, luckily I didn't have to go there. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 18 May 2007 16:00:33 +0100, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

IMHO, the answer is "tough tit". You made it plain that it was a rebuilt write-off, twas up to him to know the score at the time.

's a hard life.

Now, if you'd sold it *without* making it clear, he might be able to have you for misrepresentation.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Think ive not made my self that clear on this...

I openly told him that it had been on its side in a ditch, and that it had been fully repaired, mot'd and reinsured.

He asked no further questions, and made me an offer - so i didnt say any more.

I didnt go into detail about it, but we had agreed if he asked for more info, we would oblige. I want going to lie to the bloke.

If he had asked, i would have told. There was also the opportunity of getting a HPI done.

All in all, £40 will see it right. It will pass the test, ive got nothing to hide. All that was changed was the roof, doors and a wing.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

So why didn't you just give him the information?

If it was going to cost so little to be up front, open and honest, I'd have told him. I like to leave folks feeling that I'm honest, trustworthy and they can do business with me again.

It seems amazing that the almost universal attitude on here is that its fine to knowingly withold information.

regards

Tim Jones

Reply to
Tim Jones

It is up to the buyer to be aware of the foibles of their purchase and query it. That is common sales practice. It has been stated that if any queries had been made they would have been answered truthfully, thats what HPI is for in part. I wonder how happy the buyer was with his bargain at first and whether if he figured it was worth more he would have insisted on paying more ! "Honesty" can be affected in both directions.

Reply to
Hirsty's

That bit did stick in my throat a bit too, I tend to over-state the bad bits (probably why my truck never sold!) but if someone insisted I signed a form that stated I'd accepted it as is and wouldn't give them any grief over any issues found, I think I'd smell a rat and hoof it out of there! It probably doesn't make much difference but it would still make me think there's something there that the seller wants shot of.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The thing is, i didnt want shot of it. I'd still have it now if my new one hadn't have been for sale.

There is nothing wrong with it at all.

I was under the impression that all was competed after the incedent. I was driving it for 6 month myself after it was repaired. I rang the DVLA soon after and asked them if there was anything else i needed to get done, and they said no.

It was not until this morning that i had even heard of this test, and believe me, if i had known about it i would have got it done.

The last thing i wanna do is piss people off. On here, or anywhere. Unless i dont like them ;)

If he had investigated slightly more, as i and everyone here would have done he could have made a more informed decision.

Its not as if its a, nicked b, been bodged with dodgy parts, c not road legal.

I suppose in hindsight i could have been a tad more forthcoming, but i can honestly say that no false information was given, If questions had been asked, they would have been truthfully answered.

Strange things happen when people offer you money...

Reply to
marksolesbury

I'll take your word for that bit at least, no-one offered me any for mine so perhaps your way is best!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

dont stress about it.

You didnt know about it so what can you do. If i bought your old 90 and found out about it i'd probably be slightly annoyed (but not at you) and just accept it. Its not like the truck was dodgy.

I've bought cars and ended up having to pay for the v5 to be re-issued after the original owner couldnt find it. annoying but not the end of the world.

Give him back the £36 for the test if you feel charitable.

Reply to
Tom Woods

If you haven't lost the V5C in the first place then you don't have to pay for another. (and they've gone up to £25 now).

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Sold a Renault Savannah estate before getting Defender. Advertised it for £1500 ( in 1998 ). A few lookers then one very keen who wanted an engineers report; I said no problem but dont expect me to pay for it. After test engineer complemented on car and stated only problem was a very slight front oil seal leak, but to be expected with car at 98k. Buyer then came into my house and wanted to negotiate a drop in price for the problem ( ie pay for test ), he then got shirty when I reminded him that whatever test showed price wiuld not move. He then started to rant ( in my home ) about the car not being perfect and I must drop price, showed him the door and the way home !!!

Sold next day for ask price to someone else whose only query in a phone call

2 days later was "did it run on unleaded"

Oh well !!

Reply to
Hirsty's

Think this might be a little grey, to say it has been in a ditch would be of little surprise as it's a land rover.

However put your self in his shoes, he now has a vehicle with a value considerably less than one without a Cat C.

OK so it's been repaired propperly, the problem is still the Cat C.

I personally would not buy a Cat C either, and that is the problem.

There is a differance between buying an item with faults which could be discovered by inspection, and one which has been declared beyond economic repair and labled with a Cat C for the rest of it's life.

Reply to
Simon Cochran

Either the new owner or previous owner has to pay, and since I had taken the car and was sitting with it in my drive unable to tax it, and he was 200 miles away and never getting round to finding it and posting it to me I didnt have much choice!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Does it really mean anything on an old car or landrover? its not a new vehicle! (marks old 90 was a 1990 model)

I know via the t'internet quite a number of people running old saabs. It only takes a bent wing and/or bonnet now to write a saab 900 off with most insurers (both parts are NLA new).

'beyond economic repair' means nothing on an old motor!

Reply to
Tom Woods