Kenwood TH-78A Ham Radio bought today

Bought this today at a yard sale for 15.00. Has two batterys, no charger and cigarette lighter power cord. Plugged it into my car and it works fine. I don't know how to find a station though to listen.

I heard other jeepers say they carried one on the trail. I asked the guy I bought it from about range and he said there are repeaters all over the place so range is no problem. Is this true?

I am totally Ham Radio stupid. Can anyone give me some pointers on where to start?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Oliveri" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 5:58 PM Subject: Kenwood TH-78A Ham Radio bought today

Here you go Bill, the following link will take you to the "Getting Started" page at the ARRL site that is the main ham radio organization.

Get your Technician class ham license and you'll receive a call sign so you can legally use your new 2 meter radio. By then you'll also have a good idea how to use repeaters to talk with other hams over wide distances. There's no Morse code test required for the Technician class license and there's very little theory on the test, mostly just questions on the rules and regulations. You can pass the test after a night or two of easy study. Good luck. :)

Jerry N6TAY (my ham radio callsign)

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address N6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

Reply to
Drink

Reply to