I finally bought one.....

No, really, I have ;-)

Just picked up a really clean, original Alfa 75 TwinSpark.

150bhp from an old-school 2lt 8v twin-cam ain't bad at all.

And the correct wheels are driven, too ;-)

108k miles, _massive_ service history (including bodywork inspections), absolutely immaculate interior. Slightly graunchy into 2nd (they all do that, sir) and a couple of tiny little rust stains on the paint..... easily fixed.

Best thing about it was the price.... bloke took it as a trade-in several months back, and let me have it for pennies.

So, £600 later, I drove away in it. And it's lovely. That old TwinSpark exhaust note is addictive.

Pics will be online as soon as I've washed it ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

yay!!!! Said that's what you should get (shame it's not a V6 though) - do have fun!!!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I struggle with insurance on a V6, and they're _very_ rare.

I'll be happy with the TS - not much to go wrong in that motor. Only 8 valves, and chain-driven cams. Even the FI system is bog-standard K-tronic stuff, ISTR.

Reply to
SteveH

well at least it's a darn sight better than some of the french crap / german soulless stuff that was suggested

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've never owned an italian car myself, I rely on my car for work and could never live with the emotive personality, I think if I was looking for a cheap sporty car now it would be a Leon.

My dad had a Fiat 127 (going back a while) and I've spent time driving other peoples Alfas and Lancias and I do enjoy them. They are the best things at the price for driver enjoyment. When they start.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

He owns a Volvo, so I wouldn't be too smug, if I were you... ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Hmmm - safe, reliable, quick, smooth, big, quiet....

Sorry, your point again?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

...boring.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

capable of well over 140mph? Cracking stereo as standard, comfortable and supportive seats, superb overtaking power, grippy...

sorry - boring no longer applies to Volvo.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

...but it does apply to german cars? And french cars are infinately more interesting that Volvos, and the build quality isn't bad anymore, and the engines are better, the cars handle better and are quicker.

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

never said it did - but you driven any of the current Audis? They're trying to catch up with saab for cerebral dullness in the search of straight line speed

Erm - no. That's why you see so many Avantimes, Safranes, 806s etc. on the roads compared with S60s, 5series and E classes isn't it?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

BTW, S60 2.0T is 30kg lighter than the current BMW 320 which is similar in performance

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, 'Bloaty Bus' - big executive, sanitised vehicle - why do you think the police like them so much?

Because they're blandly, safely predictable.

Nope... the fact you could still hear the stereo is half my point.

It's too sanitised... I'd sooner be powersliding an E30 out of some twisties - there is no skill in driving something like the S80 fast, and whilst that might suit some, others prefer something a bit more raw and on the edge.

In that respect, I can understand why SteveH liked his 33 so much, having been in it - the rawness when being thrapped.

I'd have either... doesn't make them interesting though. In fact an Octavia TDi estate is sort of on my list of possibilities for in a couple of months time, given how economical they are (and I base this on what I've gleaned from the local taxi drivers, not the official figures).

But it would have been a darn sight more interesting and fun to drive.

Hardly strained, and if you're that fussed, get the 325i - personally I'd go for one of these anyway.

*Sigh*

Ever been go-karting, or can you not see the point of that either???

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Erm - no I wasn't, I was just trying to point out that volvo's aren't boring - I was nearly a BMW owner you know, and I still reckon the 5 series is the best all rounder in the world.

Question - have you driven a modern audi? They're designed just like the Volvo / Saab design model, easy to drive, stable, understeery machines. RS4 included (only thing that makes the RS4 fun is the crazy power you can get from the motor - 800bhp anyone?)

I know a guy who has moved into an Octavia, I know many execs with Cupra-R as preference to Audi type stuff. I think the badge means less now, although Skoda is still a challenge for me.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Where you discussing which car would be more fun, and why volvos were boring? What does interior space have to do with? Would you say a 106 1.3 Mk1 Rallye would be no fun on a tight, twisty lane cos its not got a lot of space for 4 adults and their luggage?

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Once you've driven a 1983 Triumph Acclaim round for a year when you're 17, no badge will be a challenge :)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Never mind the 106... those Westfield Seights are bloody diabolical!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

So bloody what?

Weight means bugger all really... it's how that weight is propelled and gets slung around that makes the difference.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

It's 1440kg for a 2.0T (180bhp) S60, 1440kg for a T5 (250bhp), BMW 320iSE is 1470kg (170bhp) and 330ise 1505kg (231bhp). M3 (not available in saloon, so coupe figures follow) is 1570kg 343 bhp. Oddly M3 drag factor is .33, BMW 3 saloon is .30 and S60 is .28, didn't expect that!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

806... the one that's a people carrier, yes? *RIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTT*

How about the Volvo 340... now there was an interesting car, especially the ones with an elastic band transmission.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH