what to do with manky galvanized bits? and painting rear door

Do they look nasty painted silver? will they clean up? I've bought a NEW back door (ouch!) and need to paint it, it seems to be in grey primer at the mo and I've bought a litre of celulose (stratos blue) but can't remember the mixing ratio. Any experts about? Fun times ahead :O)

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

Yes. There's one round here and whilst it looks OK from a distance as soon as you get within a couple of cars length it looks what it is, paint.

Could get them re-galvanised but will probably be expensive, worth asking though as it depends how friendly your local galvaniser is. If you can't find one in the book ask a local sheet metal works if they know of a decent one locally.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Cheers :O) I'll see what I can find while I'm out and about.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

I did see a local series Landie painted green, with the galvanised strips gloss black. It didn't look bad.

Reply to
David G. Bell

If youve just got one bit that needs painting, they dont look too out of place if you paint it in hammered silver hammerite. Ive got both my rear corner posts (with the lights in) painted and the rest is galvanised. Looks alright. Looks better than the rust did anyhow! You might get a better finish if you spray it on too.

You can also buy some galvanising paint which might look similar too?. My dad had a spraycan of it which i tried on mine, but it fell off, so i hammerited instead.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Best I've found so far is Galvafroid, it's commercially used for painting over welds in galvenised construction stuff, like railings. It's a really high zinc content, and lasts well.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

When your landie gets to a certain age, Hammerite and Primer are the only paints you are going to need :)

I have a big pot of white coach enamel somewhere, but I am not sure if I will ever get a nice enough surface to put it on, it'll either chip off or just look naff.

Not that I want a concourse vehicle anyway.

Reply to
Larry

Thanks for the suggestions Its either going to be hammerite or galvanised paint Cheers, Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

I sprayed the whole thing with hammerite!. :) (Looks alright, but doesnt dry smooth)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hammerite smooth looks about right on the cappings and by adding a little black into it helps reduce the over silver effect. IMO neat silver Hammerite is too silver it needs toning down slightly when used on cappings etc.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Thanks for the tips :O) Painted my new back door from Paddocks at the end of last week.

shade is a bit out, but as the old rear door was rotted to hell itlooks miles better.http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v116/rd350r/DSCF0036.jpghttp://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v116/rd350r/DSCF0051.jpgI think the paint was too thick that I was spraying it was very orange peelyat one point, but I was painting it flat on a table so it all smoothed outin the end. The garage was a bit dusty so the surface was "bitty".

Paddocks didn't have a glazed door in stock, so I had to glaze it myself which wasn't easy but I got there in the end (spose it saved masking it up). I'm not a painter but out of 6 of my vehicles that needed paint only one colour matched perfectly. Gonna try the the silver/black hamerite combination on the cappings when the weather gets better. The only other thing was the door skin wasn't fastened to the metal frame around the handle so without any guidance I just did what was done to the old door and stickaflexed and pop riveted it.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

Reply to
kevin davis

Yeh but this wont work on synthetics or indeed Hammerite.

You mean you had bits in the Rolls Royce paintwork ;(

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull