Gas lid panel and turn signals

Got a couple probably stupid questions/problems. Car's an '04 ES330. First is the cover release for the fuel tank. When I push the release button inside the car, it only propels the cover a fraction of an inch. Often enough, I end up reclosing the thing while I'm trying to get it open. Can it be adjusted so that the door/panel opens more?

The other issue is the turn signal. Anything less than a 90 degree turn does not cause the signal to go off when the car is then straightened. Plus the sound of the turn signals is very weak. Consequently, I find myself doing old people driving with the turn signal flashing. Though I am ocnsidering moving to Florida, I'd like to get this fixed. So, can the point in the turn when the signal is turned off be reset to be less than 90 degrees? Or, can the volume of the turn signal be increased so I'll be reminded that it's on?

I'd like to have other opinions before I go back to the dealer the next time. Any help/hints appreciated.

Bill

Reply to
muncle

Getting the gas cap cover to open is easy. On the inside of the cover, you will see a metal spring tab sticking out at an angle. Gently bend that tab outward so that it sticks out more so that when the cover is released, it will push the cover out more. You can also apply some very light lubricant like WD-40 on the hinges to help is swing out more freely.

There is no adjustment on the turn signal cancellation that I'm aware of and there is no adjustment for the volume of the turn signal. The turn signal flasher contains a piece of metal that heats up as it allows electric current to pass through and making the turn signal light come on. After it heats enough, it will pop open, cutting off the current flow, making the turn signal light go off, and since no current is passing through, the metal cools, and pops back into place, and the cycle starts over again. The clicking sound you hear is that piece of metal in the flasher popping on and off. If the turn signal flasher is buried under the dashboard, it can be harder to hear. The flasher housing used to all be made of metal, and the metal housing transmitted the clicking sound pretty effectively. Now, some housings are made of plastic and have the effect of dampening the sound. An aftermarket flasher might be louder but there is no easy way to tell if you will be able to hear it better unless you install it and try it out.

Reply to
Ray O