LS430: Navigation Upgrades?

I'm considering purchasing a 2001-2003 LS430 (can't afford the 2004, even though I like its appearance better). Anyway, I have a question about the Navigation system.

According to Edmunds.com: "The nav system now draws from a database with 5.6 million points of interest (compared to 750,000 in 2003), and for the first time, its voice command system covers basic climate and stereo functions along with nav-related queries."

The system is DVD based, right? Therefore, I could buy the newest DVD disc, and install it in a 2001-2003 model, and get the 5.6 million POI ? That's a significant upgrade in POI !!! (I'm not concerned about the addiitonal voice-command options)

Also, anyone retro-fitted the 18" Wheels from the 2004 sports package to their 2001-2003?

Thanks, Randy in Chicago

Reply to
Randy S

if you buy a 2000-2003 LS430 you must buy an update for the OLD LS430!

both cars are DVD-based, but the 2004-2005 LS' disc WONT work in the OLD modell!

also you must check if the OLD LS430 has the "calender funktion" or not.

there are specific, different toyota spare part numbers. you can buy with or without booklet (manual, which you dont need).

Reply to
phase

Just met with the dealer about the issue yesterday. He said that the 2004 updates WILL work in the 2001-2003 LS430. Updated POI, e.t.c. HOWEVER, understandably, the update will not give you Bluetooth, or the added voice commands for Navi/Climate.

Reply to
Randy S

i dont believe this until i see it with my own eyes! please buy it and let me know! from outside you cant tell which DVD it really is. you can just compare order numbers.

Reply to
phase