Braking problems: 2001 LS430, 2003 GX470

Here's some braking problems I'm not sure I've seen on the board yet...

Occasionally (and I mean really infrequently), when starting out after being parked for 8+ hours, my 2001 LS430 will engage the ABS all on its own. Yep. You don't even need to go near the brakes, just be going around 5-10 mph (which is normal for exiting the parking lot). It's really freaky (not to mention dangerous and scary), and when I mentioned it to the Lexus dealership, they just stared at me blankly and asked if I could reproduce it. Nope. Like almost all the problems I've ever had with my Lexi, I've rarely been able to reproduce them on demand.

On another front, my wife's 2003 GX470 also has a weird, non-reproducible braking problem, but it doesn't involve ABS. When you bring the SUV to a halt, the brakes "clunk". This usually happens after you stop, and begin to let up on the brakes as the car starts rolling forward. Sometimes, it happens while you're actually stopping. Bizarre. Same comments from the Lexus dealership, same blank stares.

Any ideas?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

[...]

CJ

"You may hear a click or motor sound in the engine compartment for a few seconds when the engine is started or just after the vehicle is started. This means that the anti-lock brake system is in the self-check mode, and does not indicate a malfunction."

- page 180, ES 300 Owner's Manual

Reply to
Iona Camry

Reply to