Tokico or KYB for my '98 ES300?

A friend is selling a set of Tokico struts and a set of KYB struts at the same price ($300). Which are best for a '98 ES300? Which are a better deal? Thanks.

Reply to
VMI

In part it depends on whether or not the ES300 needs struts. If it doesn't, the price realllly has to be low to make it worth while since struts don't normaly give out on an ES300. Of course if this is not just a "buying stuff on sale" type situation, then I would just check with a Lexus parts department and see what they sell and might suggest as an alternative.

Reply to
mcbrue

Thanks for the post. I didn't really think I had to say it, but it does need struts since they have never been changed. I also know I can go to a Lexus dealer, but they will probably want to sell me their struts, which in turn will cost me way more than the $300, and this doesn't include the installation. Just so you have an idea of how much it could cost, an oil change costs $100.

I just wanted some feedback > In part it depends on whether or not the ES300 needs struts. If it

Reply to
VMI

Thanks for the post. I didn't really think I had to say it, but it does need struts since they have never been changed. I also know I can go to a Lexus dealer, but they will probably want to sell me their struts, which in turn will cost me way more than the $300, and this doesn't include the installation. Just so you have an idea of how much it could cost, an oil change costs $100.

I just wanted some feedback > In part it depends on whether or not the ES300 needs struts. If it

Reply to
VMI

Wow! My first oil change on the new LS430 cost 62.88 for their regular crap dino oil. Do you get the good stuff - Mobile 1 - for $100? The local stealership does let the suckers - er - customers - bring in their own oil. So we have all these rich guys dragging in cases of oil! Rotflol !!!! MB has the same prices but uses Mobile 1 so their suck ... customers ... at least don't have to drag in the good stuff.

What I suggested was to just call the parts department and ask them what brand they routinely sell. They should be able to tell you that much. Of course you could get sneaky and go there and ask for a set of them, get them in their boxes so you can see the OEM (original equipment maker) label, and then just hand them back when they tell you the price.

Good luck!

Reply to
mcbrue

mcBrue, a 5 gallon bottle of Mobile 1 full Synthetic can be found at about 25 bucks add another bosch oil fiter (5.99) or a mobile filter (10.99).. and you can come under 60 bucks if you are a dyi. If your dealor does changes for free then you spent 36 bucks at the most for the parts??

Where did you get 100 bucks for mobil 1?

VMI, Kybs are the closes to stock as you can get from decent brand name struts. If you want a little harsher ride-- in favor of some sportiness, then you would go with the tokicos. I myself just put in some Tokicos. 300 is the average price for either brand as they range from 250 to 350 in price at various outlets.

Dave

Reply to
RningOnFumes

Why on earth would you get a simple oil change done at a dealership ... unless you are willing to pay a premium for above average 'personal treatment' ... and not necessarily any better actual parts/materials? I have never seen a person complain so much, basically about nothing. I think you should sell the Lexus and go back to a Benz (and I for one, would certainly agree the Benz offers more 'driving' satisfaction ... just more maintenance/ownership headaches also )... I bet you and the service manager would get to be best of 'friends'. Good Luck

Reply to
Jerohm

Besides the oil story which I won't get into, I';m fairly certain that the KYB are the stock struts used on the ES300s. My 1994 SC300 uses KYB struts from the factory, to the best of my knowledge, Lexus/Toyota has never manufactured their own struts to use in Lexus vehicles. I know for a fact that the stock struts in my SC are KYBs.

In any case, I went with the Tokico High Performance or "blue" shocks as a replacement. I also lowered my car so I can't comment on how they feel relative to stock. But as someone else stated, they will be comparable in ride with the Tokico's being a little more on the sporty side (but not much if your springs are still stock) and they are comparably priced also. However I ask, are these shocks he is selling you USED? If so, then they are overpriced because they will retail at that price you have there brand new.

YOu can probably even get them cheaper, I paid $60 x 4shocks = $240 + $shipping = $269 for my Tokico HPs NEW when I changed up on my SC.

Reply to
NYLexSC

Hey whoa! Slow down! I only paid 68 bucks for a change, NOT the $100. I think that the 68 is too high for a change, esp with dino oil. But when I took it in, I had some other problems/questions to answer. And I am going to get it serviced at the stealership, every 5,000 miles like I have to in order to keep the guarantee in good standing. With all the environmental problems with oil and such, I don't realy even want to consider DYI, besides having to learn a whole bunch of new stuff like wrenches, etc. I just don't have the time.

Reply to
mcbrue

lol mcbrue, you need one wrench and a milk jug(s) and a big pan to catch oil in, thats IT. If your oil filter is easily accessible then you can unscrew it and screw it in by hand. Easy as pie, take the old oil from your oil catcher and dump it in your milk jug(s) and take the jug(s) to any local shop that does oil changes, they will take it and dump it in their big container for you, generally free of charge. it's a good idea to drive the car after an oil change anyway to be able to check for leaks.

Reply to
NYLexSC