1995 Astra 1.7 TD - overheating(?) question

I recently bought a cheap runaround after my car was written off in an accident. It's a '95 Vauxhall Astra with the Isuzu 1.7 diesel engine (turbo + intercooler).

The temperature gauge normally sits on the 90 degrees mark, the first mark on the gauge. When on the move at slower speeds (

Reply to
Andrew

sounds quite normal

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[snipped]
[snipped]

I thought the temperature should be maintained fairly constant, not going up and down like that? My 2004 Rover 45 diesel always stayed at the same temp, or at least it did until someone crashed into it.

Your reply is reassuring though, thanks :)

Reply to
Andrew

That was your temperature guage always staying constant, not your coolant temperature.HTH.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

The chances are that the actual temperature of your Rover engine varied by

*more* than the Astra.

Modern cars don't really have a temperature gauge as such. The indication is controlled by the ECU; whenever the temperature is deemed to be within an acceptable range, the needle points to normal. The gauge could be replaced with a three-state LED display which would provide just as much (or little!) actual information.

The reason for doing this was that modern engines run safely over a wider range of temperatures than hitherto. If a "proper" display was provided, owners would be forever going back to the dealer thinking there was a fault.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan