2008 335d coupe: gear selector light

Hello all. I have a 2008 335d coupe M-Sport with auto/sequential manual transmission. I can't recall whether the car did this straight out of the showroom, but I have recently noticed that the light by the gear lever that indicates the selected gear mode is permenently on, even when the car is turned off and locked. Is this normal?

As an aside, I had a puncture recently and had a tyre fitted by a BMW main dealer. On inspecting the underside of the car a day or so afterwards, I noticed that a plastic moulding at the jacking point on the side where the punctured tyre was replaced is mashed. The moulding is hard plastic and shaped with a half-cylindrical groove running side to side; I guess that this is to accept a jack supplied with the car or used by BMW garages. It looks to me as though someone has used a regular trolley jack to lift the car up on the plastic moulding and it has mangled it a bit. I know it seems trivial, but I would have thought it should be possible to jack the car up without causing damage and if that is not the case and the moulding is sacrificial, then it ought to be replaced as part of the job. Am I being an arse if I go back to complain? It seems so trivial, but the car cost a lot and it was totally pristine until its visit to the dealer.

Advice and opinions welcome. Cheers, Jim.

Reply to
j.r.walsh

If it's like my E39, it stays on for about 20 minutes. Check from outside the car when it's dark.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They are designed to locate the car jack - there are jacking points for garage jacks elsewhere.

Luckily the pads are cheap and easily replaced - they just pull off.

Welcome to the world of BMW main dealers. I've had BMW cars for some 15 years and have been forced to use them when the car is near new. And have yet to find one which is even one quarter decent. Thieves and liars describe them quite well - and I'm not exaggerating. Luckily I have a decent independant close by for the jobs I don't want to do myself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Correct operation, but disconcerting if you come back to the car at night.

It goes off after a while. I was told why they did this once, but I have forgotten.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Yes, it will shut itself off after a while.

It is easy to replace and usually gets bunged up if you use the cheap tire jack in the trunk but there is no excuse for the dealer to mangle it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey