'90 BMW 320 Touring

Likely MPG on this? My brother has a '98 318 and it struggles to get 28 on a long easy run, low 20s trundling around locally. I have a mate wishing to buy the '90 320 and was wondering how it compares, economy wise.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

ummm...my 525 is more economical than my 520. never seen a 325 but i guess its not a M50 engine, forget what...

i would think 30 though on a steady run....

Reply to
Jules

Jules proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

OK, cheers for that. We've been told it could be as low as 22-24, same as the 318. Still astounds me how they manage to get such poor economy from german engineering :( I like bimmers, nice solid cars, lots of extras and luxurious (5series+) but they are just so damn expensive to run! No wonder you can find a fairly recent 7 series for

Reply to
Coyoteboy

It'll probably be slightly worse. For what it's worth, I get high

20's out of my 4.4 740 on a run and almost 20 around town. I used to get over 30mph on a run from my 325. Google it and you'll find some comparisons.
Reply to
adder1969

again tomorrow im off to drive to E Germany and Poland...last time at a steady 90/100 over Germany (not inc my blasts at 130) i was getting about

30mpg...but like you i get pretty bad around town, stopping and starting...hate it, guzzles it. but 4 trips a year of a 1000 miles a day, i need the power and space and comfort with my 13 year old bimmer. >
Reply to
Jules

Reply to
Jules

This is UK MPG? I find that *very* hard to believe (28mpg on a long easy run). All the BMWs I've ever owned would better that and by quite some margin. The best was a '92 E34 525 auto which would nearly do 40 mpg under those circumstances. And I mean cruising at 70 - not trying hard for best economy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

Yup, UK, cruising 70-80. We thought it was aweful but the BMW dealer said it was fairly normal for the 1.8 and the larger engines were often better. Its a pancake though - gutless with hesitant spot around 3500rpm, despite full BMW diagnostic searches all coming up OK- the dealer says it feels as it should. Our conclusion was you might as well buy a larger engine version as the 1.8 is a false economy.

I never get >22mpg in my car so 28 seems great in my eyes :D

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Why stop there - you could do France, Belgium, Norway, Holland, Greece and the former Yugoslav republics whilst you're over that side of the channel. Don't forget to open a Swiss bank account on the way through.

Reply to
SteveH

been to those places before, i only have 3 days with each girl im staying with.

Reply to
Jules

Still sounds low, mid 30s was easy on an old 318.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

an e34 will probably do better at motorway cruising due to better aerodynamics.

I had a 525 e28 that struggled to do 25mpg....

Reply to
john

Better aerodynamics than a newer design presumably E36 which is smaller and lighter?

Depends on how you drive it but BMW is usually as good as any similar sized car for cruise fuel consumption. My E28 520 manual would manage over

30 MPG on motorways and it was pretty low geared.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news:l snipped-for-privacy@bt.com, Coyoteboy wittered on forthwith;

Fuxake, the 540i I used to run (4.4 V8, auto) would do 33 mpg at a steadyish

80 mph, 5 up with a full boot!.
Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) wittered on forthwith;

My old 528i E28 would do 30+ on a run.

Reply to
Pete M

1990 - is that gonna be the straight six pre-vanos type thing? I would expect low 20s in town and low 30s on motorway with an autobox and copious use of cruise or a steady right foot.

Driven enthusiastically would be lower - say 22mpg overall from me

Driven like Dervy might be 33-35.

Best comprimise engines are the newer Valvetronic ones (expect 30mpg in town and high 30s out of town) or the newer 320d.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Problem is, to get a valvetronic engined BMW means to buy something for considerably more money than an E30, but with much less quality.

Reply to
Pete M

Are you a hussy? I recall viewing your posts before and wondeirng if you were into internet dating or such the like.... Conor and I are interested...

Reply to
gm