Bleeding brakes

My trusty focus is due a brake fluid change. I bought a gunson eezibleeder from halfords one of those one man kits.. many good reviews.

I was just wondering having never touched a bleed nipple if this is a simple enough job. Is there anything I need to be aware of or tips ?

I have the focus 1.8 ghia 04 petrol with abs.

From what I can tell you connect a low pressure tyre to the eezibleed adapter, fill the bottle with new fluid, connect a special lid to the brake fluid tank, and then remove a cover? from the nipple attach a hose and put in container with fresh fluid. Open the nipple and watch till fresh clean bible free fluid comes out and tighten ?

Then work your way round. Not sure on order ?

I've only read that in theory just wondering if that's it or any pitfalls to watch out for and tips tricks to get it done right.

Also hopefully no hidden bleed nipple on the master ?

and no special software to bleed the abs ?

Also I was told I could syringe the fluid out of the master to the min line add fresh fluid to max line and then bleed to avoid wasting fluid and less old fluid being pushed out and time saving ?

Is there a special tool used for opening these nipples or is a spanner just needed ?

Does the clutch need bleeding aswell as I think it all runs off the same tank ? or is that best left alone.

Apologies for the many q's but I would like to get it right :)

just out of interest on a seperate note if you change your front pads for example all bleed nipples have to be bled or just the fronts ?

Thanks

Reply to
Matthews

When the garage changed my brake fluid they used different coloured stuff so it could be seen when the new had come though.

Reply to
Joe 60

It's easy to break a bleed nipple off if you are ham-fisted. Don't use an open-ended spanner on them, use a suitable socket, and keep it straight.

I'm assuming 'bubble' for bible; I can't help otherwise as I am a confirmed atheist ;-)

There should be no bubbles. That would mean air is in the system, and that shouldn't be the case if the brakes are working OK.

There are two key points about the Eezibleed. Firstly, only use a tyre pressure of 10 - 15 psi. Secondly, make certain that the cap is fitted securely, otherwise you will end up spraying brake fluid everywhere.

If you are using an Eezibleed, you don't need to put the end of the bleed hose in a jar of fluid. In fact, if you don't mind the mess, you don't need a jar at all. Or a hose, really.

Tradition dictates doing the furthest from the master cylinder, then work towards it, but as there should be no air in your system it won't really matter.

The Eazibleed works well *if* you follow the instructions.

No bleed nipple on the M/C.

Software?

The essential point with ABS is not to let the fluid run out. Keep the reservoir full. If you get air in it, you may well have a problem.

Yep, that's how I do it.

Reckon on a litre of fluid at least.

See above info.

Yes, bleed the clutch as well.

If you have read what Mr Haynes says about this, tear the page out of the manual and throw it away. He would have you dismantling half the stuff under the bonnet at get to the bleed nipple. It is actually easily accessed from below.

Best approach with brakes, I have always found.

Only the nipple on the calliper you are working on.

I like to use a brake hose clamp in the flexy so that no fluid can push up to the M/C. Usually, it's not necessary to bleed the brakes afterwards if you do this

Welcome.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It really is not worth doing it yourself, Fords only charge 30 quid to do the complete job.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Just make sure the special lid is correctly screwed on and sealed - and that all the pipes are properly in place before connecting up the tyre. Which should have its pressure reduced to no more than 20 psi. If you have any leaks the fluid goes everywhere under pressure.

Start with the wheel furthest from the master cylinder. End with the one closest.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I always bleed the calipers/push a bit of fluid through after a pad change, though I've never really noticed any bubbles. I can see why there would be any air introduced anyway in a simple pad change. My thinking is that it at least gives the nipples a bit of a work out preventing them seizing and also gets a bit of fresh fluid through.

I usually use the old fashioned 2person "down...hold.....up" method and give it 4-5 down and ups on each side.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

When I did my 03 Focus fluid change, I found that the fluid flow from the rear offside corner extremely slow. Slower than any other car I've done.

I find it best to use a ring spanner for the bleed nipple as the hose could stay on the nipple as it was loosened and tightened again, catching the old fluid in a large old coffee jar.

The nipples were different sizes front (discs) to rear (drums).

David

Reply to
David

+1, but ring spanner is more convenient.

More usual problem is ending up with rounding. Worth spraying nipples with penetrating oil the day before, especially on older vehicles.

Reply to
newshound
[...]

It is if you are using the conventional 'tube and jar' method, but with an Eezibleed you don't even need the tube.

I have a 1/4" drive socket set with a deep socket that is ideal for the job.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

No hose needed for pressure bleeding however.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

So, how would you suggest collecting the old fluid so it doesn't make a mess ??

David

Reply to
David

My easibleed came with a tube and jar, also saves fluid getting everywhere

Reply to
newshound

Mine did too.

But I do not put the new fluid into the Eezibleed container as I have found it easier and cleaner to fill directly into the master cylinder reservoir, and watching the level. Therefore no cleaning of the Eezibleed container required afterwards, and if the lid connection leaks, just air is lost, not fluid.

David

Reply to
David
[...]

What do you want to collect it for? Quick squirt of the hosepipe and it's gone ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Oh, I don't know, maybe proper disposal...

Quick squirt of the hosepipe and it's

Now I have an unrequested water meter :-( , it's too valuable to waste.

David

Reply to
David
[...]

Two or three litres of water would cost less than the two or three litres of fuel needed to take the fluid to the tip!

In all seriousness, I don't squirt brake fluid everywhere; my suggestion in using a socket was aimed at initial loosening, after which any suitable spanner can be used.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

brake fluid is a good weed killer, and relatively harmless in general.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Didn't know that; I'm going to give it a try.

and relatively harmless in general.

Unless you are a weed, presumably.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I wouldn't go to the tip with just that :-), and the tip is 2 miles away, BTW.

OK, especially when using a sliding T bar to centre it.

David

Reply to
David