Cheap rover 75 a good buy or not?

Do you think cheap 2nd hand Rover 75s are a good buy. Bare in mind the future deprecation and possibility of parts problems and no main dealer backup.

Reply to
Dan Fowler

If its under a tenner

Reply to
Ted Rubberford

What's main dealer backup?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Does a maintenance group seem like an appropriate place to ask this?

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

I have a 12 month old Rover 75 Tourer CDTi Connoisseur SE auto and it is a superb car. It has a BMW engine, BMW suspension, the best ride quality in its class, is extremely quiet and refined and was incredible value for money when I bought it on special offer. Once the fuss has died down I do not think that depreciation will be a major problem. It is in the interests of everyone, including the entire motor trade, to keep values of MG/Rovers up. Spares are not supplied by the manufacturer but rather by an independent firm (Caterpillar) who have already stated that they have millions of pounds of existing stocks and will continue to supply so long as there is demand. You can still get spares for cars that ceased production many many years ago - there will not be a problem for Rovers because there are many thousands of them on the roads around the world and spare parts suppliers will wish to continue to supply that demand. Go and test drive a 75 - I do not think you will be disappointed and if you can get a good deal then buck the trend and go for it! Don't listen to Ted - he's just spouting nonsense!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

I suppose the same as any other non current produced car. E.g. I have a Saab 9000 and am spoilt for choice of parts and services.

Reply to
Johannes

A colleague has just bought a manual version of the same car. He feels the same.

Reply to
Doctor D

They are good cars to start with. As regards depreciation - who can tell. They're cheap as chips already. Service parts - ie those needed to keep it going - won't be a problem. Trim parts to keep it looking perfect may be.

If you intend keeping it for a few years and you enjoy it, I'd say go ahead - assuming it's a bargain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All I can say is that I am extremely satisfied with my 75 Tourer and certainly have no intention of replacing it for many years. All the usual 'knockers' are out in force at the moment - but you will struggle to find any road test review on the 75 that has anything other than minor niggles to complain about. It is a very good car and an absolute bargain. BMW developed it to compete in the Beemer/Merc arena and yet it currently sells for little more than the price of a common or garden Mondeo.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

I agree on the verdict of how they drive but somebody who's used to how a Mondeo handles and how much room is inside it will be disappointed...

Reply to
DervMan

Erm, that's not always the case. The group test I read with the 75 (the higher powered diesel) said that it wasn't powerful enough to tow as well as the competition and for those with teenagers, the rear was too cramped (especially compared to the competition).

Very good? It's a good effort in a very competitive sector, where many of the the mainsteam offerings border on the brilliance in several respects.

Here's the rub, though. Those areas that the Rover 75 does well in - ride, refinement - it's only a little better than the establishment, model for model. It wins on points for the most part. But the weaknesses - handling, interior room - it does appear to get a pasting. I've always found the 75 rather... cumbersome... no more like a barge... in twisty stuff, but then I'm used to a Ka tweaked for the twisty stuff, so I can't compare.

I like Tim Kemp's idea, though. It looks like the 75, it has the MG running gear. But it needs that V8... :)

Reply to
DervMan