Daewoo Nexia Fuel Gauge Problem.

Hi,

Recently purchased 'P' plate Nexia saloon 1.5 GLi - everything's fine bar the ABS light ( I read the thread already here on that subject ) and a dodgy fuel gauge. I took some advice from a chap in the Daewoo newsgroup who suggested:

> Your fuel gauge works on the earth return principle, the black wire > > earths the sender unit and the blue wire goes to the gauge. > > To test: > > Remove the wires from the sender unit. > > Short the blue wire to earth. > > Switch the ignition on. > > The gauge should read full. > > > > Remove the blue wire from earth and the gauge should read empty. > > > > If you get the above two results the fault lies in the sender unit, all > > you can really do is make sure that it's got a good earth. > > Otherwise buy a new sender unit.

Now, unfortunately the Daewoo group is prone to tumblweed which seem to hinder replies, so I thought someone here may be able to help.

I followed the chaps advice and had no results whatsoever, the fuel gauge sticks where ever it pleases whether the ignition is on or not, or even with the sender unit disconnected. Sometimes it reads what I believe to be a correct amount of fuel in the tank, other times it's at zero.

Would anyone have any idea what *else* may be the problem here? The car cost me very little, so I'm not too bothered about taking it somewhere to be looked at, though I hear Daewoo vehicles can produce the rolling eye/sharp intake of breath effect from mechanics, due to the availibilty of some parts(?). I'd be happier to have a go myself, if at all possible - the lack of any manuals, Haynes or otherwise, makes this a difficult job!

Cheers for any advice/pointers,

Mick.

Reply to
KN4665

Daewoo Nexia is the one that is more or less a mark 2 Astra?

Astra and Nova fuel tank sender units are notoriously unreliable. There is a little pointer that moves up and down over a track as the float bobs up and down in the tank, and the bits that get used the most - maybe between quarter and three quarters full - wear out first. So you fill the tank, the gauge reads full for a while, goes to zero till the fuel gets down to about 1/4 full, then the gauge starts to read again. In other words, there is a range in the middle of the dial where the needle never points.

So if those are the symptoms, I'd suspect the sender unit is dud. Of course, the Daewoo version may be better than the Vauxhall one.

Lock

Reply to
Lock Horsburgh

Yep, so I believe.

Hi Lock,

Yeah, I know where you're coming from there, I remember my VW Beetle having a similar sender unit in terms of functionality, and that explanation would make perfect sense to me. What confuses me though, is this gauge reads sporadically, even when the wires to the unit ( from the cockpit presumably ) are disconnected? For instance, at the mo, this multi connector is disconnected - the fuel gauge reads half full. As I said, I've already tried earthing the sender wire, which is suposed to force the gauge to read zero, but nothing. There must be something happening somewhere, coz the darn thing works occasionally when connected, and with very little usage of fuel.

I'm presuming this is the sender unit? I'm also presuming someone might recognise this! I can't take the hose off, beacause fuel spews everywhere. ( Also looks like someone has been there before me by the loos of the metalwork )

I can get the unit partially out with the hose connected, but what I can see certainly doesn't match what you describe ( long arm/float ). Looks more like what I remember the innards of a carb look like. Could this be a pump rather than a sender unit?

*update* Just tried the other chap's test again, ( connected blue wire to earth ) and this time it blew the 30A fuse for the fuel pump. Fuel gauge still reading at half full.

Cheers,

KN4665

Don't Daewoo use the same parts with the car they are based on? Isn't the Nexia based on the Astra?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

"KN4665"

Yes I think the nexia is fitted with 2 fuel pumps with one located inside the tank. If you let the fuel run too low (or run out) it has a tendency to also knacker the pump in the tank. If you listen carefully to the rear of the car as you turn on the ignition you can hear this pump spin for a couple of seconds.

Reply to
Mark

yep, I can hear that, Mark.

Arse..Anyone know where the sender unit is??

:-)

KN4665

Well, I hear so, yes. But I'm not sure *all* parts are Astra.

KN4665

That picture looks like it is an in-tank fuel pump, under a hatch below the back seat. I'd assume there is one pump in the tank, rather than a low pressure lift pump in the tank and separate high pressure pump under the floor, like in a Mk2 Golf GTi K-jet.

The sender unit will be in the lower half of the rear vertical(-ish) wall of the tank, just in front of the rear axle beam. The sender unit is sort of a bayonet fitting. I did say sort of. You remove it by unplugging the wires then levering against lugs on the rim, with crossed screwdrivers or similar, to turn it less than a quarter turn anti clockwise. (Assuming again it is like an Astra)

If there is more than a gallon or two in the tank, a raging torrent of fuel will emerge.

You can pump fuel out by disconnecting a pipe under the bonnet, putting it in a petrol can, and running the pump.

Lock

Reply to
Lock Horsburgh

carefully

If you still have problems or need any cheap nexia spares give these a bell. They've been a lifeline to me for getting hold of second hand Daewoo spares

They've recently moved premises but I think the phone number will redirect. If not let me know and I'll find out the new number.

Reply to
Mark

Hi Lock,

Thanks for the info and tips there mate.

I had been led to believe the sender unit *was* under this flap under the back seat as you describe.

However, I'm sure your right as I'm reasonably sure this under the flap is the fuel pump, as arsing about with it the other day blew the fuel pump fuse.

It looks like it's the garage then for me! I don't like the idea of running the fuel to empty, and I'd probably make a balls of it all. I was hoping the sender unit would be more easily accessible for me to just swap. We live and learn.

Thanks again,

KN4665

Thanks Mark,

I had seen that link by you before I think, perhaps in the Daewoo NG's archives at Google.

Cheers again for the link,

KN4665

Tank doesn't have to be empty , just low. raising the back of the car helps too, as the hole is in the rear wall of the tank. So put the back wheels on ramps, or put the back on the pavement and the front on the road. Have a look underneath, and this will make more sense.

By the way, it would be worth unplugging the wires and making sure the connections are clean, and when you have found the right wires, do the test that you described earlier. Before removing the sender unit.

Lock

Reply to
Lock Horsburgh

in

Hi Lock, sorry for the late reply.

Must say, now you've explained it like that, it doesn't sound so daunting. Let's hope it's fine for the next few days for me to have a try. ( as a kind of update, I put a good amount of fuel in the tank the other day and like you said, the gauge needle (finally) rose - so it looks like it could be the track that's the problem )

Thanks a bunch for your help, I'll let you know how I get on.

:-)

Cheers,

Mick.

Reply to