Electric Water Pump

A lot of you guys know more car models than i ever will. Can anyone tell me which car makes/models use an electric water pump. Im told the Omega V6 uses one but i cant find any for sale anywhere. Or if anyone can help me identify a pump in another context that would be suitable for my chargecooler system.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I take it you're wanting to spray water onto the chargecooler? If so, won't a simple washer pump suffice?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

No, ive managed to buy a water-to-air intercooler which requires a seperate radiator and pump etc so i need fairly hefty flowrates. At a guess 10l/min+. Total system capacity is approx 5 litres and it'll be running all the time the engine is.

I'd looked for a belt driven pump but i cant find one.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Have you tried a scrapyard? The Omega V6 has at least 1, it's just behind the radiator on the passenger side. Some also have one mounted below the expansion bottle on the drivers side. A Vauxhall dealer should be able to get you one.

Reply to
rp

Try demon tweaks, they do electric pumps.

Why are you running it with the engine. Normal practice is to switch the pump on boost pressure and / or intake charge temp.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

DT are often named demon theives for a reason :) I was hoping to find an OEM pump that i know will be good quality and suitable without costing the earth. Will check though, stopped considering them after being quoted 30% more for parts than most places.

The standard ECU treatment for the pump on the version of my car that has one as standard is cycling in 28 second on-offs and come on all the time during fairly heavy throttle. I cant be arsed wiring up a controller to do the timing - it seems somewhat pointless. Certainly that was the view of the works rally engineers who also ran the pump

100% - not that im even close to their torque level.
Reply to
Coyoteboy

Thanks Rodney! This is the kind of info i need (where/price etc!) so i know where to look when i head to the scrappy. I love scrappy runs.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

1987-1990 Toyota ST165 Celica GT4 turbos have an electric water pump for the intercooler. Ask in one of the GT4 forums if you're interested. You should be able to pick one up quite cheaply. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

ISTR that volvo 440/460/480 Turbos had one.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

My BMW E39 has an aux one so you can use the heater with the engine stopped. Until it cools down, obviously. Dunno if it would have the flow you need, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think the focus RS used a leccy pump for circulating water round intercooler.....

Dilbert

Reply to
Dilbert

Its for a GT4 :) (185) - I've been asking on the forums but in good condition they're going for 50 quid a time and they're as rare as hens teeth, although i do have the offer of one off a 205 which needs a rebuild - fairly cheap to do.

Reply to
Coyoteboy