Ford Focus 55 reg boot opening when break applied

My mum has a 55 reg new style Ford Focus automatic.

There is an intermittent fault. When the break is applied the boot/hatch clicks open. So far the boot hasn't opened fully, but who knows when/if.

Car has been back to the dealer to fix the fault. It didn't happen for a couple of weeks, but has started happening again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Noz

Reply to
Nozza

This is a known fault with Rover 200/25/400/45's as well. The rear door lock barrel is mostly plastic but the actuator arm on the rearof the barrel, held with a roll pin, is metal. What was happening was that water would run down the back of the car and some would go through the lock and rust the actuator arm. The rust would make the arm stick around half way through it's operating arc and the tail gate lock would be half secured because of this. Bloody disconcerting when you are driving aong, the bodyshell flexes, and the tailgate pops open.

I cured the problem by removing the lock, knocking out the roll pin and carefully removed the actuating arm. The rust was sanded off and the whole thing re-assembled with LM grease over everything which cured the problem.

I suggest you inspect the whole lock assembly, the actuating mechanism and the way it interfaces with the boot lock unit. Ensure all parts move as they should, any signs of rust which could cause the mechanism not to operate correctly needs to be addressed.

Rdgs

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Cheers Paul

Thanks for the reply. I'll suggest mum takes it back to the dealer again to fix the fault. It only happens in wet weather - so sounds a very similar problem.

Noz

Reply to
Nozza

Shouldn't be happening on a 1 year old car, complain thoroughly and get your own way, that's how it works in the world of cars.

Reply to
David R