Ford focus Starter motor

Hi, could anyone kindly dispense some advice on removal of the starter motor from a 1.8 zetec ford focus. The haynes manual blithley tells me to remover the connectors.... (I have already removed the bolts) and then helpfully shows photo's which must have been taken with most of teh car dismantled - I certainly haven't found the view they had.

Ha! I have managed to get two nuts off the connector and although I can get the connector thing to wiggle it does not seem to want to come off any further than half an inch or so. Are there any clips that I am unaware of or tricks (or simple experience) that might help free the starter motor.

Incidentally just in case I'm wrestling with the wrong bit of my car: I decided it had to be a starter motor (or more likely solenoid) failure and not battery as even adding my other car's battery made no difference. All I got was loud ticking with the speedo and other instruments coming on synchronously with the ticks then swinging back down.

The car can be push started and then runs fine.

thanks.

Andrea

Reply to
andrea.mica

That sounds more like a loose earth bond, did the jump leads get hot?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Agreed. Sounds just like the symptoms you get when there is a corroded contact or loose terminal. Could be something as basic as slightly loose batt terminals. Remove the batt terminals (NEG FIRST so you don't weld spanner to chassis) and clean up with wire brush. Give battery a charge and try again. If still problems look deeper, like neg (earth) strap connections to block. Changing starter motor is jumping the gun at this stage. I wager its something more basic.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

Sorry to hijack thread, would my wearring noise be the starter? Comes from the starter motor area and I've had it like this for a year now. Sometimes starts first time, then sometimes it can take up to 10 attempts. If I leave the ignition turned the noise (sounds like a little motor) slows down then the engine catches and starts no problems. The mechanic told me not to do that though. He's not 100% its the starter motor but he's checked all the contacts. Obviously he doesn't want to be wrong (very trust worthy mechanic, often does jobs for free - think my mum done him some favours???)

Reply to
History

your fault sounds like the onewway clutch on the starter dog has failed, so yes, replacing the starter will probably cure it

Reply to
MrCheerful

I have known the connector to break inside the plastic holder on mondeos, that is quite hard to spot until you cut the plastic open.

Reply to
MrCheerful