gear change problem

hello Can anyone give me any idea what's wrong with my car. The problem may be very common but I know nothing about cars and need help from people who do. I will take it to garage but would rather have an idea about what might need doing before I do.

I have a V reg Nissan Micra.

I have recently noticed that when I change up a gear (often from 2nd to

3rd) there is a few second delay between the gear change and the acceleration. The engine revs highly because I'm putting my foot back on the accelerator afterthe gear change and then the gears seem to engage. I sometimes take my foot off the accelerator and let the revs drop but I don't have to do that for the car to eventually begin to pull off. There are no clunking sounds, no grinding noises - it is all very smooth but even I know this not correct. It doesn't seem to happen on all gear changes all the time.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.

bella

Reply to
bella2002tii

Knackered clutch.

Reply to
SteveH

oh dear! Will it last a few days or a few weeks?

Reply to
Bella

if you drive gently and don't need many hill starts it may last a while. it is impossible to be certain, but it will get worse until it won't move at all.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Depends on how bad it is, how many miles you do per day, and what kind of miles those are.

I've had a dying clutch last me a couple of months, but it wasn't too badly shot and my commute was pretty much traffic-free meaning very few gearchanges.

Reply to
SteveH

thank you, mr cheerful. I can assume it will be an expensive problem to solve.

Reply to
Bella

Please leave a little bit of the previous message in, it makes it much easier to follow.

Just out of interest, what's the mileage on the car? Do you drive with your foot on the clutch pedal?

As for expense, it might not be too bad: it's worth checking with these clutch fast fit outfits. What will cost is when you agree for them to change your car's shockers / brakes / exhaust / everything else that needs changing.

Reply to
DervMan

"Just out of interest, what's the mileage on the car? Do you drive with your foot on the clutch pedal? "

Thanks. Mileage is 65,000km. I drive in London so there's a lot gear changing - but I hope i don't do unnecessary "foot on clutch pedal".

Reply to
Bella

Picking a slightly higher gear than normal may promote life, if it starts to slip. For example, if you are in 5th at 30, then the torque transmitted through the clutch is much higher than if you're in 4th, or even 3rd. (assuming you're not accellerating hard.)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Likely clutch replacement cost will be about 200 pounds or a little more.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sorry, no. I think you mean picking a LOWER gear. You've actually made two contradictory statements!

Also, once the clutch starts to slip, it gets hot and this reduces the friction, so it slips even more. The best thing is to try to stop it slipping at all and if it gets bad, stop and let it cool down.

Of course, maybe it just needs adjustment and if this is the case, the sooner the better.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Oops. I meant "higher gear ratio". If it's slipping in 5th, it probably won't in 3rd, where it'll be providing half the torque.

Reply to
Ian Stirling