Leaking rocker cover gasket / breather pipe questions

Looks like my Ka (1.3 pushrod / Endura-E / kent / sewing machine gone badly wrong engine), is leaking oil from the rocker cover gasket.

It's had a new gasket a few weeks ago, so I should be able to rule that out. It is leaking in the same place as before (could be cack on the head / rocker cover stopping a good seal perhaps?), the bottom right corner as you look down on the engine from the front of the car.

Could the leak be caused by blockages in the oil cap breather pipes or some such? What exactly do these do? Is the rocker cover at positive pressure compared to the atmosphere?

TIA for any ideas.

Reply to
Doki

if you are getting a pressurised rocker cover then the first thing to do is get the engine warmed up then pull the dipstick out if you get covered in oil it's agood sign that the rings are shot :) if you hear the hiss of escaping gas then you should be looking at removing all the breather pipes and cleaning them out, as well as the filters (if there are any) in the system don't know about positive pressure in the crankcase but when the oil gets hot it mists up and it's got to go somewhere otherwise it comes out of the biggest gap it can find (or the weakest gasket/oilseal) hope that helps :)

Reply to
nooneyouveeverheardof

Does the Ka have an oil breather system? aka flame trap? On the cars I own, if this gets blocked you get positive crankcase pressure that can force oil through seals etc. A common test is to release your oil filler cap and place it where it belongs but unscrewed, if it rattles ie. blows up the way you have a blocked hose, flame trap etc, if it sucks it's ok. My cap on my cars is on the cam/rocker cover. If I unscrew the cap and pull the accelerator and the cap seems to want to blow off the top I know I have a blocked flame trap. If it stays in place I know it's ok. Another way is to remove the filler cap and place the palm of your hand over the hole. Pull the accelerator and you can feel if it sucks or blows especially if you slowly release your hand from the hole with the engine at about 2000 revs or more. Sucking is good, blowing is bad, means some rubber tube connected to the engine breathing system is blocked.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

On my Ka the two breather pipes run to the oil cap which is a big plastic bung type thing, rather than a pressed steel screw on item.

If you look on

you should be able to seewhat I mean. ISTR the breather pipe on the oil filler runs to the airbox,but ISTR there being 2 pipes on mine rather than one. I'll have to check inthe morning...

Reply to
Doki

accelerator

Doki, sounds like you need an answer from the expert himself - Dervman. :)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

He'll tell me there's nothing up with them, or even worse to join the owners club :P. I really ought to get it sorted as pissing away all the oil means the light starts flashing when you do a swedish flick...

Reply to
Doki

Right. Had a look after the cars been on a run. Pull off the oil filler cap with the engine idling, and there's a fair bit of oil mist blowing out of the filler. Give it some revs and it seems to blow less. There are 2 oil breather pipes on the cap, one running to the air filter (fairly wide) and one running somewhere else (really ought to have had a look :P). Are these things you can clean up or do I just go and get some new ones?

Reply to
Doki

In my experience, if you can blow through the crankcase ventilation pipes, it's OK. I would check that and the attachments the pipes go on to are not blocked. But I have absolutely no experience of Ka's or Fords.

Reply to
Stuart Gray